Some pictures from my October trip to Sichuan/Yunnan

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanLux

Reaction score
I spent 2 weeks in Sichuan in October: Chengdu and surroundings, with a 4 days trip to Kunming / Yunnan visiting the Kunming Botanical Garden, including their orchid collection not accessible for visitors ..

First some photos of flowering orchids in Mrs Wenqing Perner's Hengduan Mountains nursery:

a batch of Paph spicerianum

Paph spicerianum

Paph henryanum

henryanum frma christae

Doll's Kobold ( charlesworthii x henryanum)

henryanum x helenae:

New Vietenryanum (gratrixianum x henryanum)

Hengduan Grace Henry (Grace Darling x henryanum)

helenae

helenae x charlesworthii

Hengduan's Qin (helenae x villosum), a new cross that Mrs. Perner dedicated to her lady assistant Qin:

Hengduan's Rong (gratrixianum x insigne), a new cross that Mrs. Perner dedicated to her chief of Lab. lady Rong (photo by W. Perner, min. resolution):

Paph areeanum

Paph Hengduan Snake Charmer (wardii x insigne)

dianthum

a few more to come ….

Jean

2 more slippers, and then non-slippers:

Paph barbigerum var. coccineum:

Phrag longifolium

Habenaria myriotricha

Dendr. victoria reginae

Dendr. draconis

Liparis cordifolia

Calanthe sylvatica

Phaius tonkinensis

Dendr. chrysanthum

Cymb nanulum

Holcoglossum kimballianum

Stelis argentata

Some orchid flowers from Kunming Botanical Garden collection soon …

Jean

Our visit to the Botanical Garden in Kunming, province of Yunnan: We were fortunate to have some expert guides for visiting their orchid collection, as well as the very large main greenhouse, not open to public at present time.

First a few impressions of their slipper collection:

impressive ensemble of large dianthum plants

nice henryanums

villosum

villosum x charlesworthii

barbigerum

Lynleigh Koopowitz (delenatii x malipo)

purpuratum

armeniacum

some more to follow ..

Kunming Botanical Garden

dianthum x purpuratum

helenae

godefroyae …

Magic Lantern

malipo x emersonii

delenatii x hangianum

Norito Hasegawa (armeniacum x malipoense)

gratrixianum daoense

some non-slippers to come …

Jean

Non-slippers at Kunming Botanical Garden orchid collection:

fall flowering Pleiones

Pleione maculata

Pleione praecox

maculata x praecox

Cymbidiums:

erythraeum

sinense

lancifolium

qiubeiense

….

maybe some more pics of non-orchids to come ..
Jean

Hi Jean, don't know what I should praise more the abundance of pictured orchid flowers and city sights or the quality of your photos. I'm wondering if you used a tripod even when your were visiting the Kunming Botanical Garden? The P. spicerianum group in the first photo, the perfect opener, immetiately was breathtaking to me. Must have been a great journey.

Hi Jean, don't know what I should praise more the abundance of pictured orchid flowers and city sights or the quality of your photos. I'm wondering if you used a tripod even when your were visiting the Kunming Botanical Garden? The P. spicerianum group in the first photo, the perfect opener, immetiately was breathtaking to me. Must have been a great journey.
Hi Rudolf, whereas in Wenqing's greenhouse I was at ease and shot most of the photos with tripod and black background, I had of course not the time/and material to do the same in Kunming … so just put camera s ISO a lot higher and did my best …: depth of field (Tiefenschärfe) is the problem then .. :)

Jean

.......I had of course not the time/and material to do the same in Kunming … so just put camera s ISO a lot higher and did my best …: depth of field (Tiefenschärfe) is the problem then .. :) Jean

Hi Jean, without a tripod.....the result is excellent and depht of field is sufficient, at least in my eyes. Congrats to these fotos.

Hallo Jean!

Seems to have been a very nice and interesting trip - and thank you for taking us a bit along on the tour with your excellent photos!

Such great pictures in all respects - with such an embarras de richesses, it's impossible for me to single out specific favorites!

Kind regards,
Jens

I like your photographs a lot, Jean. Very well done and thank you for sharing them here!

Back