Some pics of my recent trip to China, Sichuan, Chengdu, Huanglong ... here

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the pleasure to visit the 'inside' of Huanglong Scenic Area with Wenqing Perner some days ago: Even if the peek flowering of flavum and tibeticum was about finished this is always again a marvelous place ….

Hope you like

Jean

What species of Dactylorhiza did You find?
I cannot identify. From the 7 Chinese species fuchsii fits best.

What species of Dactylorhiza did You find?
I cannot identify. From the 7 Chinese species fuchsii fits best.

In his book 'Orchids of Huanglong' Holger did not report any Dactylorhiza. This is Ponerorchis chusua (pages 205-208) , quite common in the valley now, flowering from late June to Juli .

Jean

In his book 'Orchids of Huanglong' Holger did not report any Dactylorhiza. This is Ponerorchis chusua (pages 205-208) , quite common in the valley now, flowering from late June to Juli .

Jean

Hey Jean, the only Dactylorhiza seen on my trip of the same area was D. viridis, also known under the name Coeloglossum viride.

Love to see more pics.

Hey Jean, the only Dactylorhiza seen on my trip of the same area was D. viridis, also known under the name Coeloglossum viride.
reported are the 7 species:
salina
hatagirea
umbrosa
fuchsii
incarnata cruenta
umbrosa
viridis (I have no idea why this species should be a Dactylorhiza now)

Beautifull pictures, Jean. Thank you for posting!
Must have been a wonderfull trip - and maybe a bit physically challenging, judging from the photos? Good you keep in such good shape!

Most kind regards from Copenhagen to Lëtzebuerg! Jens

Impressive pictures, Jean! This must have been a wonderful journey!
Thanks for sharing them with us!

Love to see more pics.

Yes Tom, Holger in his book has it as Coeloglossum, as has Cribb in his book 'Guide to the flowers of western China' … (btw. Cribb only reports 2 Dactylorhiza species for all China).

Beautiful. I'm surprised they are growing so wet. What temps are the waters? Thanks for sharing.
Eric, acc. to Holger Perner (Orchids of Huanglong) the Huanglong National Park in the lower part of the valley is filled with yellow calcareous travertine, the upper part being Devonian and Permian limestone. There are different springs where the water temp. can be as low as 1 C. ; even in Juli, at +/- 25 C, when I put my hand into the water it is cool to cold. In a relatively dry winter the bassins and waterfalls can dry out partially.
Jean

Here some more pics from my Sichuan trip:

On our way to Huanglong:

Maoxian:

Songpan

for orchid lovers Mr Wilson is one of the earlier explorers of Sichuan province, also for orchids … Phalaenopsis wilsonii … etc

some more to come … Jean

Latest posts

Back