Some phal species in bloom now

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Phals' pulchra, minus, and equestrus. The pulchra is a very slow grower and not very floriforous for me. The minus has cool leopard spots on the top of the column, and surprizingly large flowers for the tiny size of the plant. The flowers are almost as big as the equestrus flowers.

Heather said:
While they are all nice, that pulchra is HOT! It reminds me of bright purple vinyl, what an interesting texture!

Thanks Heather. The pulchra is hot, and I realy jumped on it when I found it. The species is used for allot of hybridization, but does not seem popular as a species amongst the phal collectors. Probably because it's not very floriforous.

I think I've found my next three purchases!!!

those are awesome! What a pity I kill all my Phals! :sob:

bench72 said:
I think I've found my next three purchases!!!

those are awesome! What a pity I kill all my Phals! :sob:

Do you try to grow them in pots? I also kill most of my phals in pots, but never loose them mounted.

Low light, high humidity, good breeze, and mounted, and they are almost indestructible.

Rick said:
Do you try to grow them in pots? I also kill most of my phals in pots, but never loose them mounted.

Low light, high humidity, good breeze, and mounted, and they are almost indestructible.

Hi Rick,

Alas, those which have succumbed to the call of orchid heaven died in winter when the temps gets too cold... and apart from the current orchid crib for the flasks... there isn't really anywhere that i can control the temps so I will have to wait till I can sort out a growing environment first...

until then, I will enjoy vicariously through yours and the others brilliant efforts! :D

Fantastic looking pulchra, I have a few and none are as vibrant as that one

wow i want the purple one i was just talking to tim telling him i have no probs growing phals but never seen one of them in australia just unreal

they all three look great especially that pulchra...you can bring them up on your next trip to Dayton

The minus is a very small plant, just a little bigger than parishii, Maybe 3" across.

The pulchra is about 5-6" across, and the equestris 8-10".

Back