Some Paphs from the U.S. Botanic Garden

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
I must admit, the orchid room was a bit of a dissappointment slipper-wise. No offense to complex hybrid enthusiasts, but there were pretty much just a bunch of bulldogs on the ground.

(most of the photos aren't very good. I didn't want to be 'that guy' that held up everything by taking a ton of photos.)
paphswb4.jpg

It had an FCC, so I took a photo.
morepaphseb1.jpg

This appletonianum was in the "Endangered Species" room. Well, that's what it was tagged as, anyway.
paphappletonianumzw3.jpg

Another from the endangered species room, an insigne.
paphinsigneoc0.jpg

No multiflorals at all. Just a Transvaal.

nice photos thanks for sharing. Is paph insigne really 'endangered'? I wouldn't think so cuz they aren't that rare...putting the species in a separate "endangered species room" sort of makes paph hobbyists look bad to the public, as if paph hobbyists are poachers of rare species

all Paphs, Phrags, Cyps, and i think even Selenpediums are considered endangered. that's why they're on schedule 1 of cites....
i'm not a big fan of hybrids being in conservatories or botanical gardens, but that's just me....

I believe Phillip J. Cribb was responsible for this orchid portion of CITES and no scientific reseach on population levels was done at the time when he decided to automatically name all slippers proctected by CITES. These regulations may have even given Cribb an advantage over other botanists, as he was quite a slipper fan too. In reality many slippers are quite abundant in the wild such as Phrag besseae and there are probably other examples too, so I would disagree if they called every slipper endangered. I'm not encouraging mass wild collecting of course.

Nice selection, wish my local botanical gardens would have Orchid, let alone Paphs

Latest posts

Back