Some Paph Snaps from Longwood

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

ogecko

Here are a few snaps of Paphs that I took at Longwood Gardens today - a dreary day, but there were orchids...

Paph insigne var sanderae

Paph Royal George (Harrisianum x Minos) registered 1911

Paph Saint Alban (Antigone x Harrisianum) registered 1905

Paph venustum

Thanks for posting the photos. It's always interesting to see some of the older hybrids. It is my hope that many of these "antique Paphs" can continue to be grown and enjoyed for their beauty, historical significance, and potential hybridizing use.

:)There would be nothing better, on a dreary day to go to a place like that!

It's always good to go to Longwood, even in the winter on a dreary day!

Actually, the Paph display wasn't very good, there were few of them and they weren't very interesting - I posted the most interesting ones.

They're having an "Orchid Extravaganza" through March 31st with an "International Orchid Show & Sale" on March 28th-30th, hosted by SEPOS. This last is basically an orchid show put on by SEPOS. I went last year and it's definitely worth attending if you live close enough to make a reasonable trip.

"Orchid Extravaganza" seems to mean that they place orchids throughout the Conservatory rather than just in the orchid room. However, these placements seemed to be mostly odd uses of Phalaenopsis in strange arrangements, and they didn't do much for me. They had a pretty large "orchid wall", though, which was interesting.

Columns in tree fern gallery topped with arrangements featuring white Phalaenopsis.

Orchid wall

Orchid wall from almost directly underneath

Latest posts

Back