Some P.godefroyae/leucochilum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the last one is the result of breeding from Joe Orchids
Joe is a nice guy , speaking English and breeding Brachys for ages, there are many better ones
all the others are probabely collected

This goes to show that selectively bred ones are superior in shape and size (and ease of growth comparably) and that we no longer need to pillage through the jungles to collect the natural population.

Hint hint nudge nudge to native local collectors. 😌

yes, the bred ones are better regarding the flowers. For P.godefroyae, niveum and bellatulum there is no difference in ease of growth here.
I got them all years ago on markets and shows. Now there are less collected plants offered, according to what I recognize.
The collectors were poor hilltribe guys , giving a sh... on breeding. They need income.

but its different with new species ! I am sure the collectors are sent to get as many as possible then and Thais are a big part of this game.
all newly discovered paphs from this region are available. Prof. Averyanow mentioned it in his publications.

it was easy to get them , when I came here
now I have many, just trying to get some with better shape/color from breeding

Thailand has taken off with godefroyae and leucochilum breeding, competing with Japan and Taiwan, esp with the dark color ones like reds and blacks. The sizes of a few normal types have also dramatically increased to 14-16 cm (normal is 10 cm) in natural spread !!!

Thailand has taken off with godefroyae and leucochilum breeding, competing with Japan and Taiwan, esp with the dark color ones like reds and blacks. The sizes of a few normal types have also dramatically increased to 14-16 cm (normal is 10 cm) in natural spread !!!
2 remarks

-its not easy to get good contacts to Thai growers , language problemx , sometimes kind of rassism , etc. overpricing , we are ATMs for most asians
- back to the Paphs: how do they get this heavy substabce of the flowers ? touch and feel the difference

2 remarks

-its not easy to get good contacts to Thai growers , language problemx , sometimes kind of rassism , etc. overpricing , we are ATMs for most asians
- back to the Paphs: how do they get this heavy substabce of the flowers ? touch and feel the difference
You mean because you are 'farang' (foreigner), they give you a different price and also not very cooperative? I would think because you are 'ATM's', you will be preferred customer.

Heavy substance is inherent in these brachys. Selective breeding improves it over time.

Latest posts

Back