Some of the birds around in winter

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

daniella3d

Winter is coming.... and the snowy owls will probably be back.

I hope they don't, because that would mean they are starving up north and many will die.

I read often people asking why some people feed them...We've been feeding owls for a few years now, after finding 5 of them dead from starvation here in Quebec. Many many many of them die each year because they can't find enough food. Snowy owls have a high metabolism and need about 25 mice per day. They may look big but underneat the feathers, most that get here are just skin and bones. When they are so weak that people can pick them up and bring them to rescue centers, then it's to late already and nearly all of those die.

The real problem happen when there is some rain and that build up a crust of ice over the snow. Then the birds can't get any catch and they starve to death. Starvation is also the reason they were so far out south last year, because it was to damn cold here in Quebec as well and there is not enough food. This is a problem for snowy owls and great gray, who cannot get their food in such conditions. Barred owls have no problem because they live here all year around and they hunt in the woods, not in fields.

Here are a few of our friends. Those were taken with a Canon DSLR camera and L lenses.

94998155_k8sA0YJ3_IMG_24613.jpg

_MG_1475.jpg

_MG_1163b.jpg

_MG_9519s_zpsbhfqdir5.jpg

l_MG_9057s_zpseimsegre.jpg

These are some of the most amazing bird photographs I have seen. Great detail, superb composition and the photos are so sharp. The photos leave me breathless.

Sad to hear about them starving to death. Is this a natural phenomenon or is it due to human disturbance?

Amazing photos! What do you feed them? In this case I think it's a good thing to help them through the winter months.

Yes that's a good point, I walk about 500m to 1km inland. It's very dangerous to feed them anywhere close to the road and yes we do ask the land owner for permission. Last winter the ice crust was so thick that I did not even need showshoes! It was like walking on concrete.

I don't do photography much anymore as I prefer to watch the birds with my own eyes, but I still feed them when I see some in great need of food. It's very expensive though, so not sure how much longer I can keep that up.

I much prefer that they don't come here at all when they have plenty of lemmings, it's best for them. They are not migratory birds and if they are all the way here, it's bad news for them. People think they can find their food easily, but not so! Many starve to death each year. Starvation and collision with cars are the main cause of death for them. The young birds are especially at risk as they end up with the worse territory and have inexperience for catching their food. So most of the birds I feed are very young birds. Strong adults rarely need it and are usally very independant.

Wonderful pictures. I suppose you pay attention not to feed them too close from roads?

It's not due to human, it's a cycle of life and death caused by the cycle of the lemming population. When the lemmings are abondant up north the snowy owls have more babies which manage to survive. But when the lemming population drop, so does the birds. And in winter it is very hard for them to catch those lemmings as they live underneat the snow. Then they have to come south to find food. The colder and thicker the snow and the more south they have to go. There was even one in Florida last winter!

Of course some of them die because of humans. They get shot, they get hit by cars, they get electrocuted by power lines, but most die from starvation.

These are some of the most amazing bird photographs I have seen. Great detail, superb composition and the photos are so sharp. The photos leave me breathless.

Sad to hear about them starving to death. Is this a natural phenomenon or is it due to human disturbance?

It's a constant war. Birders prefer to see the birds dead...they say it's nature taking its course. I hate this mentality.

And some photographers are putting the birds in danger when feeding them near roads and traffic. There need to be a regulation for this. People should be able to feed them but not close to roads, and not harras the birds.

People who feed them rarely harrass the birds because that's the birds who come to the photographers and there is no need to go run after them at all.

Those who walk in the field and harrass the birds and make them fly off without giving them some food are those that are causing real harm because they make the birds spend their precious energy and don't compensate any of it with food.

When people try to feed snowy owls, they should do it way inland, far from the roads, and from a far distance. If the bird is starving, he will come. If not, it means that bird is not hungry so people should move on and leave the bird in peace. Only starving birds will respond to a mouse bait, but those who do respond really need that food or they will not survive the winter. They can see a tiny mouse from 1 km away!

It's not illegal to feed snowy owl and often the wildlife service come to watch and monitor what's going on.

But I hate the way most birders think, and that they prefer that the birds have no interaction with humans and they if they have to die from starvation, so be it, it's nature after all. Of course the same people that complain about feeding the owls probably have a bird feeder in their backyard ...so It's ok for them to do it, but not for others. nonsense.

People need to see the difference between feeding owls and harrassing them. If a bird come on its own will, then it's definitely not harrasing.

2 years ago there were 4 great gray owls in a little park near Ottawa. Birders have complain and complain about people feeding them non stop. The wildlife people came to investigate and replied to them that the land owners gave permission and that it was very benificial for the birds to get the extra food during such cold winter. Case closed. That was the end of the complain and people fed these birds all winter. The 4 of them managed to survive the harsh winter and where very healthy by the end of the winter with great feathers and strong enough to get back up north, which they all did at the end of March.

It's all over Canada, from East to West. Snowy owls are just starving when they finaly get south, they are very thin. Here is an article from Vancouver, BC:

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/s...reat-desperate-island-search-for-food-1.18500

Owls photographs feed them with mice in our country (and no, winter is not here yet!). It is now very popular to bait those birds.

You can read more about feeding owls here :

https://lodgetrailmedia.wordpress.com/2014/02/11/of-mice-and-owls/

It's a constant war. Birders prefer to see the birds dead...they say it's nature taking its course. I hate this mentality.

And some photographers are putting the birds in danger when feeding them near roads and traffic. There need to be a regulation for this. People should be able to feed them but not close to roads, and not harras the birds.

People who feed them rarely harrass the birds because that's the birds who come to the photographers and there is no need to go run after them at all.

Those who walk in the field and harrass the birds and make them fly off without giving them some food are those that are causing real harm because they make the birds spend their precious energy and don't compensate any of it with food.

When people try to feed snowy owls, they should do it way inland, far from the roads, and from a far distance. If the bird is starving, he will come. If not, it means that bird is not hungry so people should move on and leave the bird in peace. Only starving birds will respond to a mouse bait, but those who do respond really need that food or they will not survive the winter. They can see a tiny mouse from 1 km away!

It's not illegal to feed snowy owl and often the wildlife service come to watch and monitor what's going on.

But I hate the way most birders think, and that they prefer that the birds have no interaction with humans and they if they have to die from starvation, so be it, it's nature after all. Of course the same people that complain about feeding the owls probably have a bird feeder in their backyard ...so It's ok for them to do it, but not for others. nonsense.

People need to see the difference between feeding owls and harrassing them. If a bird come on its own will, then it's definitely not harrasing.

2 years ago there were 4 great gray owls in a little park near Ottawa. Birders have complain and complain about people feeding them non stop. The wildlife people came to investigate and replied to them that the land owners gave permission and that it was very benificial for the birds to get the extra food during such cold winter. Case closed. That was the end of the complain and people fed these birds all winter. The 4 of them managed to survive the harsh winter and where very healthy by the end of the winter with great feathers and strong enough to get back up north, which they all did at the end of March.

It's all over Canada, from East to West. Snowy owls are just starving when they finaly get south, they are very thin. Here is an article from Vancouver, BC:

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/s...reat-desperate-island-search-for-food-1.18500

I got your point. It makes me think... Did you know there are sometimes emergency winter deer feeding projects in our province ? However white tail deers are now much common here than 200 years ago... For many people like me, the population is too high in many areas and the deers modify the ecosystems. But this species has a high economical value because of hunting so it looks like it is important to feed them in winter...

Definitely some of the best owl photos I have seen. Kudos to you for helping them out. Owls are some of my favorite birds and we did see a lot of them last winter in Massachusetts.

Excellent, stunning photos, Daniella! You really shouldn't stop making them. I wish you could post them, and your story, somewhere where more people can see them, read about them, and understand.

Amazing photos! Thanks!

BTW, the second bird, are the eyes open? They look rather creepy to me. lol

Also, winter is already coming up there?

The second bird is a barred owl. The eyes are totally black, so they reflect anything around. If close enough, you could see your own reflection like in a mirror :)

Their eyes are like a black pearl.

I was kind of joking about winter but in truth it will be here soon enough (2 months). In November it is already winter and snowing. The snowy owls generally get here in November or December.

Slipperfan, it's hard to make some people understand, on both sides.

As for deers, the park rangers put up food for them in our local park in winter, right in middle of the city. Amazing how well they have adapted to modern life in the city.

Amazing photos! Thanks!

BTW, the second bird, are the eyes open? They look rather creepy to me. lol

Also, winter is already coming up there?

Latest posts

Back