Some of my Mexipedium are blooming :)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rhizomes are tricky because they tend to wander but I find that I can get them to roof if, as soon as I see actual leaves forming at the tip, I can set a heavy stone onto the rhizome to make the butt of the new growth firmly contact the mix which, just underneath,

Just adding that, in my experience, I've found it's best to do any tacking down of would-be wanderers towards the end of summer/early autumn with just before spring (Marchish) as the second choice. Over the winter, they seem much more brittle, which isn't a huge issue for me since the broken off points still root so readily, but might bother you if you're one of those blessedly un-clumsy people who can reasonably aspire to keep larger plants undivided lol

Not really honestly, with being new to the species I would think the easiest to grow would be the place to start.. :). Not sure which clone that would be. I see xerophyticum, and Pixie slippers and fairy slippers on Windy Hill’s website but don’t know much about individual clones. So honestly whatever your willing to sell. 😄
Chiming in: one of mine came from a grower who purchased three of what he told me are the original “7 clones.” I put that in quotes because he also told me he suspects they are all the same plant, which had sprawled around the single small limestone outcropping whence his pieces came. Thus, he thinks there is extremely low genetic variability among the captive population. So, ANY variation among specimens is surprising. But given that millions of seedlings have been produced from the original stock, I guess it’s not altogether surprising that some variations have cropped up. I’ve also read somewhere that, after the original “population” was wiped out (or nearly so) in a wildfire, new plants were discovered nearby. I’m not clear on whether any material from the newer discoveries is under cultivation; anyone?

See Pollination of the Slipper Orchids . I have never had to cut away the pouch. I find it can be easily pushed aside to collect and apply pollen.

Anyone know the time for green pod maturation of Mexipedium?
I tried pollenating a few, and I think two capsules *might* have formed... do you know what they might look like? And when I would collect them to send you, if they really are capsules?

Excellent.

The ovary, which is what the flowers were on top of, should swell and grow.

I must look up times to maturation of the pod. If anyone know how long a pod of this species takes to mature please let us know!

Thanks for trying this. Lets hope we can complete the process and get some seedlings.

If anyone has hints or tips for growing please share. Mine is doing a lot of nothing. :( Also. let us see the plants please.

As the saying goes, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I grow mine super bright, like Cattleya bright. 50/50 bark/perlite, dryout for a day between watering which translates to two to three times a week. Heavy feeders. Tony grows them WAAAY better than me so maybe he will chime in.

Tyler

Attachments

• A0EA26C6-D4E5-4675-9FA7-7CC9AA853EB3.jpeg
    A0EA26C6-D4E5-4675-9FA7-7CC9AA853EB3.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 0
Back