• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Some of my favs.. randsii, angel hair, kovachii x wallisii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwester

Reaction score
Its coming down to this.
If you are even thinking of getting these to flip them, then dont bother me. I love these plants and only want them going to someone who will love them as much as I have and not someone looking to cash in on someone whos down on his luck (you know who you are and so do I).
Here are the names from left to right:
Paph. randsii: 2 gr, BS. took me over a year to fully establish this one. pm for price
Paph. rothschildianum (rex fcc/aos x excelsior fcc/aos): 1 gr, 35
Paph. Nerri-Doll: 4gr, BS from Antec, 35
Paph Angel Hair (st. swithin 'paul' am/aos x sanderianum): 1 gr, BS?, Excellent roots, 40
Phrag. kovachii x Phrag. wallisii: 1 gr, NBS?, 75

DSC_0120-7.jpg

Do you know what the cross is on the Nerri-Doll? I couldn't find it on the net. I'm sorry you're having to part with your favorites.

If this is one of the paphs that is more like I can grow (not a rothschildianum, not a kovachii, or similar) I would be interested. It's really pretty but I don't have great lighting or decent humidity over here and there is no way no how with your comments that I would want to find out a couple years down the road from now that it won't bloom for me and that I'd have to give it away to somebody who has a better growing area.

From what I've heard, randsii is a trickier one to grow, hence its rarity in cultivation. That's just me though, and maybe Blake has a different opinion.

Thanks kentuckiense.

I know I shouldn't try to grow the two I mentioned above but according to my notes, I shouldn't be trying to grow any of the following either-
P. philipinense
P. adductum
P. stoneii
P. glanduliferum

Evidently the above, plus the rothschildianum and kovachii, require considerably more light than the mottled leaf paphs that bloom for me in the light I have.

Nobody ever mentioned randsii. I don't think I'd ever even heard of that plant until I saw it here and looked up a photo. I like the way the randsii looks. I buy based on what appeals to me and I've been told not to do that anymore or I'll end up with very unhappy plants that never bloom.

randsii is tough, I failed with it, and I've a roth blooming. It's not about light though, it's just a hard plant to grow - same with adductum (as I found). However, philippinense, though it does require good light (south) to bloom, I have found to be an easy grower. Especially the var. laevigatum and the aureum varieties. I woudn't necessarily count those two out for you, Lauren.

randsii

:poke::poke::poke:
Randsii. hope this method might be useful for those declining in health out there [before experation date!].
70 % lime stones [medium] + 25 % combo of: pourous stones [fine grade of any including lava], charcoal, oystershelves, + 5 % of some organic components: small coconut chunks [DO NOT use wood chip], some dried leaves: 1st choice is plum leaf [edible or ornamental plum], 2nd choice is dead-dried up Paph.'s leaves, 3rd or last resorce is spaghnum moss [will yeld poorest result].
repot the beloved rand. into an appropriate sized italian clay [deep rose pot]. DO NOT strip off dead root/ root shelt/ any part of the ill/ dead looking root. if it smell bad! rinse it gently under tap, leave it seats in shady area for 1/2 a day or so to air out the smell & dry out a little.
Pot up, soak it in water up to rim for 7 minute [why 7? my lucky #], > growing area.
not done yet!
need to seat on 1/2 in of water [reverse or distilled]; no need to change water just need to keep it from dry out completely. level of water need to below, but sufficient to keep clay pot moist & pot not in too deep.
not done yet!
minumum: feed ~ 700 p/m every 7 to 10 days. every 20 days or 2 feedings change to epson growths @ ~520 p/m. along w/ the supplemental salt add 1 teaspoon of cidar vinegar per gallon of water [not with furtilizer for obvious reason].
recomemnded: foliage deeding eveyday if posible; ~350 p/m [mist foliage] **** use warm water when apply foliage feed method **** critical. when use daily foliage deed add 1/2 teaspoon of cidar vinegar per gallon of water along with e supplemental salt, not the furtilizer.
brightest light possible. will recover from the nearly dead stage if given 2.5 > 4 hours of RIRECT COOL morning sun. if leaf surface feel cool to the touch, it's ok.
after 2 growing season or when center leaf is stretching out a the rate of 1/4 to 1/2 in per month, then the water tray is no longer nesc. still need to keep pot moist, never completely dry out.

p.s. addditional note for married/ committed people [not those in the nut houses]. DONOT let you spouses/ significant others see you pay this kind of attention to someone or somethings else beside them, or else divoice/ separation might be ..., perform your spousal duties, wait until they are sound as sleep, then snick out to your tasks like a true fanatic should be! next step: double check, listen for the snoring...

hey guys, all thats left is the roth and nerri-doll wich are now 25 each and the pk x wallisii which is now 65

Latest posts

Back