Some new on my Texel trip

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanLux

Reaction score
On Friday 28 sept, I drove to Düsseldorf – Germany for the opening of an important exhibition of Paul Klee where one of my near family members took part assisting with the organisation of the exhibit! ( => http://www.kunstsammlung.de/ ).

On Saturday morning I continued for the island of Texel in the Netherlands (spent about 30 holidaystays there together with my wife Triny, this 31. would be the first to be spent alone).

Driving on the ring around Utrecht direction Hilversum I suddenly lost control of my car, this one going off the highway and stopping exactly in front of Wubben’s nursery ( => http://www.orchidwubben.com/ ). Ok, so I entered and was glad to meet Koos Wubben and Rogier van Vugt, head gardener greenhouses at Hortus botanicus Leiden, I am friend with both in face-book! Had a very interesting talk with Rogier about rothschildianum, which he met in-situ around mount Kinabalu! Koos explained me his multiple health problems but I took time for a quick run through his greenhouses and found several nice slippers:

__ST1_Wubben-1210-1.jpg

Front row: left bullenianum, middle mini kovachii, right hainansensis
Middle: sukh. left, right purpuratum
Behind: villosum

Then a week on the island: lots of wind, rain, walks, and rest!
__st2_texel-Img_4642.jpg

On my back to Luxembourg I made a stop on Friday at Akerne nursery in Schoten, near Antwerp in Belgium ( => http://www.akerne-orchids.com/ ).
I had not been there for several years but was very pleased to find lots of orchids of great quality (maybe their Rain Mix)! Unfortunately the batteries of my camera were empty and the charger had stayed at home, so had to rely on the bad quality of my handy to take a pic of the beautiful flower of the veitchiana!
__st3__Akerne-1210-1.jpg

Front: left: Soph cernua, middle Paph wardii (spike), right Laelia pumila (spike)
Middle: left Trichopilia fragrans (2 spikes), center Catt dolosa, right: Catt interm orlata
Back: left Masd veitchiana, right Psychopsis Mariposa (spike)
(had to stop then because of largely overdrawn budget)

veitch.
__st3-_akerne-masdevallia-veitchiana-1210-1.jpg

Enjoy
Jean

Geez, some nice plants there especially the soph. Cernua. I always wanted one of those. For masdivallia you cannot get better than a red vetichianum. I see why you had to buy one. Great trip

:rollhappy:
hope there was no damage to the car when it suddenly veered off the road at the orchid place....
sounds like fun!

thanks Jean,for sharing trip and good purchases .
in this day I look many of your thread you are not bravo but bravissimo , I love so much your vietnamense paph's.
I have ordinated one from germany(popow) and now I am so anxious too, and I can't wait to see it.
should also get one parishii
have you a secret about paphiopedilum vietnamense to give me ? I hope so:)
best regards.
(anna)

Nice new plants you bought for yourself Jean, I wish you a lot of luck with them. May they grow well and provide you with plenty of joy and flowers. :)

I happened to briefly speak to Koos as well this weekend, I also saw Rogier running by on the NOV-day last saturday.

.... I love so much your vietnamense paph's.
I have ordinated one from germany(popow) and now I am so anxious too, and I can't wait to see it.
should also get one parishii
have you a secret about paphiopedilum vietnamense to give me ? I hope so:)
best regards.
(anna)

Thanks :)! All I can say for the vietnamense is that they are not very demanding and grow well in my gh, with less light than for my catts! I have them in clay pots now, some with bark mix, one in Kanuma-akadama-seramis! Once established they grow nicely, some of them having multiple leads (even having suffered from a serious sunburn last summer)! Jean

Back