Some new Cyps this season

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally the weather has warmed enough for flowers. We have had some warm days but the nights have been hitting the mid-30s so the buds have remained only partially opened. But finally a couple of new plants (for me) are blooming.

The first is Cyp henryi. I got two plants last fall from the interesting new stock that Vermont Ladyslipper added to their list last year. The henryi's I have had have had dark, dull green flowers - not attractive. These have flowers that are fluorescent in sunlight. I am very pleased. The first flower is open; you can see the other plant with flowers opening in the background:
Cyphenryiopen.jpg

This is Cyp Carolin. It is really a form of Cyp Aki since it is our large yellow (pubescens) x macranthos var speciosum. The RHS still recognizes speciosum as a separate species for registration purposes:
CypCarolin.jpg

There should be quite a few more new ones opening in the next few days.

Ron

Carolin's colors are not quite to my liking, but the extra wide petals are very nice! Those henryi from VT Ladyslipper don't look quite like the pure species - perhaps there is some segawai blood in there?

I wonder the same thing. There are lots of henryi photos around and they all look like the muddy green things I have had in the past. Perhaps one day I will be able to obtain real segawai to see! So far the plants appear very healthy.

Ron

Latest posts

Back