Some Lilies...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I've gotta check that out then.
seeing all these hybrids at stores makes people forget the species like pumilum.

How are you overwintering your orientals?
I've failed but I haven't really tried hard enough either honestly

I agree about people forgetting about species. They are not very available, and some are magnificent. L. regale has the most amazing fragrance, and is very easy to grow. L. philadelphicum (which is native) is my favorite.

The Oriental I have in a pot gets stored in the fridge (dry) over the winter. It doesn't always bloom when I force it. They need very bright light and sufficient chilling to bloom. I just try to grow it in the brightest spot in my house (and put it outside later) in order to "recharge" the bulb for next year.

The ones outside either do very well or very poorly depending on where I place them. The ones that have been planted in sheltered locations do great. I have some growing between two trees in one part of my garden, where they get full sun most of the day but also a very deep snow cover and I guess less exposure to winter cold. Those plants grow to over 4 feet tall, have formed clumps, and always make lots of blooms. Ones that I have planted in the open usually don't bloom in subsequent years and eventually die. I always mulch them well too.

nice pics parvi and smartie. i love martagons.
parvi could that un- named lily be' malta? or corsica?
there is an orchid grower in neepawa man who is world famous. we went to the lily festival last summer and it was awsum.. if you ever manage to get to man, you have to see it.

nice pics parvi and smartie. i love martagons.
parvi could that un- named lily be' malta? or corsica?
there is an orchid grower in neepawa man who is world famous. we went to the lily festival last summer and it was awsum.. if you ever manage to get to man, you have to see it.

Which un-named one - the white one or the pink one? The name Corsica sounds familiar. I will have to look at some tags as the snow melts.

Incredibly, I have never been to a lily festival. We have one in Edmonton even, and I have never gone. I think I might go to it this year. I have also never been to Manitoba, but would love to go there some day. I'd like to see all of Canada!

Fantastic flowers Joe, Fren and snow!!!! These are the ones I p[[lanted this year!!!! They will grow and bloom in later spring to summer I guess!!!! I might have planted them too close to each other but space is not available...lol I hope they will bloom like yours!!!! Although there were names I did not write them down when I purchased them, so they are quite a surprise...:D

Attachments

• P050409_13.59[01].JPG
    P050409_13.59[01].JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 2
  • P050409_14.00.JPG
    P050409_14.00.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 3
Back