Some Lilies...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parvi_17

Reaction score
I'm longing to see spring and up here in Edmonton we are just beginning to get a taste of it as the snow melts (though no flowers in my garden yet). Inside though, these lilies are filling my house with the most incredible fragrance, that reminds me of past summers in my garden. I can't share the fragrance with you, but I can post this photo:

Hope you enjoy :).

Very beautiful lily flower Joe!!!! Do you grow them indoors??? I dear not cause the lily hybrids I had so far are more than a meter high and take too much space!!!! Yours seem rather small (unless my eyes deceive me)!!! I wish I could smell the fragrance...:)

Yes I like to force some lily bulbs so they flower in early spring. This is a dwarf Oriental hybrid, only about 18" tall. I also have an Easter lily (L. longiflorum) that is a bit taller.

It is difficult to force lily bulbs and they often don't flower, but I guess I got lucky this time!

groovy

do you remove the stamens (?) to prolong flower life?

my little bit of lily trivia: use tape not water to remove lily pollen from clothing. tape lifts it right off whereas water makes it stain.

groovy

my little bit of lily trivia: use tape not water to remove lily pollen from clothing. tape lifts it right off whereas water makes it stain.

Nope, I never remove any floral parts because I find they look less attractive.

Great job Joe, forcing bulbs is a skill, mostly practiced by the outdoor dirt gardeners. We afficianados of bark loving epiphytes tend to forget that this area of expertise exisits. Thanks for posting

Nice lily! I love them, and planted lots of asianic cultivars outdoors.
I found a 'black' lily bulbs in the supermarket this year, Lilium Landini. I hope they look nice

I think floralists remove them to prevent stains rather than to prolong flower life.
i think lilies look funny without their anthers.

Thanks guys. I grow a wide variety of lilies, including Oriental hybrids (like this one), Asiatic hybrids, LA hybrids, OT hybrids, trumpets, martagons, and species. I am only growing 2 plants in pots right now though; I grow most in the garden. They are my second-favorite group of plants, after orchids. Perhaps I will post pictures of my spring and summer flowering garden plants later in the season.

:clap: Good for you! :clap: I love the fragrance of lilies! I'd have to say my favorite are trumpets, it's amazing how tall they grow year after year!

Nice! It'll be months until my Oriental Lilies bloom in the garden

Fren: I got a few Landini bulbs this year too! what a coincidence :)

I am planning to grow more Oriental Lilies outside this year for the wonderful fragrance! They are a lot easier to grow than orchids.. :p

lilies

after orchids lilies are also my fav garden plant. enjoy some of them.
yesterday i picked up a bag of oriental lilies from rona for only $10 for 15
so i have potted them up and hope to them bloom in a month or three.
orientals are hard to keep overwinter here. but asiatics and trumpets do well:D

Attachments

• HPIM1413 (Small).JPG
    HPIM1413 (Small).JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM1290 (Small).JPG
    HPIM1290 (Small).JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 6
  • HPIM1292 (Small).JPG
    HPIM1292 (Small).JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM1275 (Small).JPG
    HPIM1275 (Small).JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM1278 (Small).JPG
    HPIM1278 (Small).JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 5
  • HPIM1306 (Small).JPG
    HPIM1306 (Small).JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 6
  • lily 08 (Small).JPG
    lily 08 (Small).JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 6
Nice pics snow! Orientals are also hard to overwinter here, but it can be done. Here are some of my pics from past years:

L. pumilum

L. philadelphicum

L. 'Black Watch'

L. 'Latvia'

I forget what this one was called...

I will have to take more pics this year!

:clap: great lily collection, you must get blooms all season long then!
I like that Lilium pumilum. I didn't even look into lilies this year but I see it is in Fraser's catalogue, hardy to zone 5.

I just realized how little I photograph these plants! here are two old photos when I started them in pots (since the soil was not ready?)
DSCN1638.jpg

DSCN2208.jpg

Nice photos Fren. That represents less than half of my total collection, and some of the nicest ones were left out from me travelling and not being home to take pictures. This year I will get some.

I got the L. pumilum from Hole's. It is fully hardy here.

Thanks! I've gotta check that out then.
seeing all these hybrids at stores makes people forget the species like pumilum.

How are you overwintering your orientals?
I've failed but I haven't really tried hard enough either honestly

Back