Some large paph rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigleaf

Reaction score
Some large paph rothschildianum growing my the greenhouse. No bench space so they are growing in 5.5 inch hanging pots. These are ready to move to 7 inch pots now.

Far right is Paph St Swithin in spike/bud.

c6a37b04625cf5710db7ff2d73c5934e.jpg

You are growing these to perfection. Just look at those clean leaves and all those roots! You should have a nice spring blooming season.

Thank you Justin. I hope to have nice flowers this coming Spring. Paph rothschildianum seems to multiple quickly in my greenhouse and they are getting larger.

Those plants are astonishing. Like the ones you see in those Taiwanese nurseries. Are there any tips you can give us amateurs to get plants to grow and clump so well? I know you are a commercial nursery and can provide conditions most of us can't but maybe there are things we can be doing better.

...and how are your culture conditions for this plants (substrate, water, fertilizer)?

I see alot of roots. Your are growing them very well. Without the intension to change the subject of this thread too much: may I ask what fertilizer you are using?

You sure grow them better than most pouch-people :D

Thank you everyone. Understand that everyone has different growing environment and setup. I'm still learning paphs myself.

What works well for me is getting large strong seedlings from good sources like Hilo Orchids and Mainshow Orchids.

I use RO or rainwater. I use MSU fertilizer, but I use it infrequently (every 4th watering). To avoid over water or potting media staying too wet (I mix orchidata bark, sponge rock, charcoal) - I use a pot that is just large enough for the root mass. What works for me is we get good amount of sunlight and greenhouse is relatively humid - so plants don't get too stressed out from infrequent watering. In my experience, if potting mix is always wet, plants are less likely to grow new roots.

For recently potted plants, I don't water them as often to encourage new root growth. Since I'm relatively new to grow paphs, my first step is to keep these alive. Roots are always good. Then I worry about flower quality and quantity down the road.

Here are pictures of good roots grown in a tight small pots.

For example, this is Paph sanderianum in a 3.5 inch pot. Leaf span is probably 30 inches.

34321aa7d2ca8db096be28c5474e172a.jpg

c465f166dd85751a5fe60fa9a30dfd36.jpg

Paph Hung Shen Eagle seedlings well rooted in 3 inch pot. I need to move these to 3.5 inch.

dfc749f959b273dccae015c72df45d64.jpg

1e6c05eaf41ebd7aafc61af66b1c0cd6.jpg

Michael Koopowitz 'Ping Ton' GM/TPS X self

02453756d4e492cb1677357973ad68a5.jpg

I got this at Redland May this year. Here is a small first bloom seedling. I have 6 of these. They are grown side by side, but one just decide to flower first - and its not the largest seedling.

440445e3b7a95cda199aa3d456c2a381.jpg

Latest posts

Back