Some fairies coming home from show table

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanx all.. i only took the ones that were showing well the other 5 or so just looked anemic next to these... more growing to do...

@Ray - i wouldn't say exclusively, but i am growing out a bunch of fairies... probably 15 or 20 (who counts ;-) ) these days and a flask from Theresa last spring of one her best looking grexes... they grow well for me and i like them, bad combination ;-)

@tnyr5 Ed specifically said he doesn't like fairies... but he did like the albinistic one...

These are the better plants in my fairie collection, and have been acquired over a bunch of years. The bohlmannianum from oz I purchased from John when oz was still operating (2012ish). The plant from Alexj was from a 2018 (?) slipper symposium @Apopka where Theresa also had a talk on fairrieanum. When the vendor area opened up, I went seeking some more and she offered some via mail after she got back home. (I find that the nursery visits are the best opportunities for building a relationship. You get dedicated focus, money is falling out of your pockets, and can gel on common interests and experiences. ) The one from Sam was just buried in one of my bulk purchases from 2016 ish ( that was when I first learned about the infamous fairrieanum breeding boondoggle that conjoined Theresa’s future with Sam’s past). There’s a flask from Theresa in the hopper now. Probably 2 years from flowering in my pathetic care.. There was a point where any breeder I trusted was a valid purchasing target. I have stuff from Fred Clark, Dave Sorokowsky and even some from Bill Goldner ( pretty sure they are from Dave).

Anyway . The sermon is almost over. So I’ll stop typing…. :)

That's a nice group of my favorite species. Well done...Maybe one day you will have a group like this one from The Orchid review - January 1910:

Cheers,
Paul
that's an awesome photo and group unlikely that i'll ever have that many they do vary somewhat but the ones that i consider nice aren't different enough to have more than 10 or so...

i can see culling some out of the collection next year or so... just want to have 3 or 4 bloomings from a string multi growth plant , just to be confident i saw what the plant was capable of in my care...

as Leslie knows, when that happens the local society auctions get some good benefit... (just took an 8 lead Calurum in last week for an ad hoc auction-12" azalea pot... just got to big, - i kept a piece which i'll probably regret.. but it was from a friend a few years back).

Theresa also had a talk on fairrieanum. When the vendor area opened up, I went seeking some more and she offered some via mail after she got back home. (I find that the nursery visits are the best opportunities for building a relationship. You get dedicated focus, money is falling out of your pockets, and can gel on common interests
Like you Rich, I also met Theresa on one of my orchid show/judging circuit in Reno and listened to her wonderful fairrieanum talk. A few years later, I bought some of her fairrieanum divisions (and charlesworthii album divisions too) of her best plants and learnt to grow them here indoors successfully (following her instructions of cool winters and never letting them dry out). They are some of my favourite paphs in my collection.

What a gorgeous sight! 🥰

I haven't had much luck with the fairries, except of loosing one plant after the other - and am thus so much more impressed with the outcome of your efforts. The plants you display look to be of impressive size, well grown and thriving. Kudos for culture, Rich - one can only bow in awe!

Is that an equally impressive violascens, one glimpses second row, center stage?

(that was when I first learned about the infamous fairrieanum breeding boondoggle that conjoined Theresa’s future with Sam’s past).

I'm always a curious soul: if the information about the 'fairrieanum breeding boondoggle' [wonderful word, by the way, new to my vocabulary] is public knowledge, would you care to enlighten this transatlantic individual?!

Kind regards,
Jens

Latest posts

Back