Some bird photos with my new Sigma lens (150-600 Sports)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
While I have always enjoyed bird watching and photography, up till now I haven't combined both together. Good quality zoom lens were too expensive for amateur photographers like me while cheaper lens weren't of great quality. The new Sigma and Tamron 150-600 mm zooms are more affordable but still produce great images. The photos below are taken with my new Sigma 150-600 mm Sports lens. In most of the photos I have also used a Sigma TC-1401 1.4 x teleconvertor. So at full reach that makes it 840 mm. I am using the Nikon D800 camera which at 36 MP enables you to crop a bit.

All photos are of birds from the wild.

Red-Browed Firetail - I believe the grass stem is used for courtship display. They eat much smaller seeds.

The first bird you hear in the morning is the Yellow Robin. They also like to perch on tree trunks like this.

Tawny Crowned Honeyeater - honeyeaters eat more than just nectar. Here is a couple eating a praying mantis and a dragonfly.

Noisy Miner - a very common active and aggressive bird.

Eastern Rosella - just one of many beautiful parrots you can find where I live.

Cormorant

A male and female Blue Wren

Blue%20Wren%20combined.jpg

A couple of native pigeons.

Wonga Pigeon

Common Bronzewing - this photo shows how it got its common name

Oh My GOD!

I'm a lover of birds. And you have extraordinary specie in Australia.

One has a praying mantis in its beak! How cool!

All beautiful and cute!

The blue head, rainbow colored parrot and silky shiny green feathers on the last pigeon are especially impressive!

Refreshing to look at this after reading about the horrible news from Belgium.

Very nice images!
Are you using fill flash or only natural light?

Just natural light Lance.

I should have noted the weight of this lens. It is almost 3 kgs. When combined with my heavy D800 camera it is too much for me to handhold for any period of time. So I tend to exclusively use it with a tripod.

These are awesome photos!! Much appreciated and looking forward to more. You do have some colorful birds down under.

Fantastic photos. I particularly like the fire tail.

Thanks!

Thanks. I love the fire tails as well. That is one of my favourite photos. It is the most common finch in eastern Australia. I would see them every day when I walk the dog. There are two other species of native finch in the region which are even more beautiful but are not commonly seen.

When I was a kid I use to keep Red-Browed Firetails in an aviary. They survived fine but I could never breed them like a lot of the other Australian finches.

Love the male blue wren, wow.

We don't have any striking birds like that here in the Ohio valley.

Just boring old robins and cardinals.

Familiarity breeds contempt. I'm sure if I saw the robins or cardinals I would be excited. :)

The Superb Blue Fairy-Wren certainly is beautiful and much loved. This species is very common in eastern Australia. They are very active and gregarious, darting in and out of shrubs. They never sit still. They are difficult to photograph. There are 12 species of Fairy-Wrens across Australia. They are all the same design except for differences in colour.

Here is another photo of a male Superb Blue Fairy-Wren.

Wonderful shots. In particular the first one belongs in a magazine or book!

It must take a lot of patience to get shots like that. Getting fast enough shutter speeds at such long focal lengths and natural light is probably not easy, either. Not only that, but your equipment is absolutely massive and heavy, that makes the results even more impressive!

Do you also see Galahs in the wild? They’re one of my favourite birds.

Wonderful shots. In particular the first one belongs in a magazine or book!

It must take a lot of patience to get shots like that. Getting fast enough shutter speeds at such long focal lengths and natural light is probably not easy, either. Not only that, but your equipment is absolutely massive and heavy, that makes the results even more impressive!

Do you also see Galahs in the wild? They’re one of my favourite birds.

Thanks

Yes, I do find it frustrating at times. It can be hard work lumbering around with all that heavy gear. And your subject matter never sits still. If I get one or two good photos I'm happy. A couple of weeks back I walked a couple of km's through this low coastal heath hoping to get some photos of some honeyeaters. I barely saw a bird and those that I did see I couldn't get close too. Frustrated I was just about to leave the area when at the last moment that flock of Tawny-Crowned Honeyeaters flew in and started catching insects right in front of me. That made all the hard work worth while.

Using a tripod means you can shoot at a slower shutter speed then you would if you were handholding. But you still need a fast shutter speed and bright light is helpful. The ability of modern cameras to produce high quality images at high ISO sure helps. The second photo of the Yellow Robin was shot in the poorest light imaginable. Cloudy, late in the day and under a heavy canopy. I could hardly see the bird. Even at an ISO of 5000 it still produced a nice image.

I would see Galahs most days. They are very widespread and common across most of Australia. They would possibly be the most common parrot/cockatoo in the region. Only the White Cockatoo would rival it in numbers. The Galah can form enormous flocks. The poor old Galah is much maligned in Australia. If someone calls you a galah they are basically saying you are a fool or an idiot. It is a beautiful bird but I guess its commonness means people take it a bit for granted.

Here is a pretty boring photo of a Galah I took. I'm working on getting a better one.

Very good pictures!!! They are as I'm looking at them, You have a knack for it!! Thanks for posting!! although quite a few times I've wanted to throw a grenade at cormorants for ruining my fishing experience, dive bombing the school!! Aaarrrgghhh I guess they look cool though

The birds of Australia just lost their privacy.
David, you get right in their kitchen with 600mm plus converter.
All top notch.

ummmm, we frown on cormorants here too.

Latest posts

Back