Some Australian terrestrials

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pterostylis curta would have to be just about the easiest species of orchid to grow. In about three years I went from a small pot with a dozen or so tubers to filling this 60 cm x 35 cm container. And there was still at least another 150 tubers that I couldn't fit in it that got potted up in other containers.

curta%202020.jpg

It has been a very wet winter/spring and as a result the local native orchids are flowering profusely. Below are some of the different Spider orchids (genus Caladenia) that are currently flowering around Canberra. A pity that these aren't easy to grow like some of the other native terrestrials.

Caladenia montana - this is not a common species only known from a few populations in the ACT. Often flowers after fires (which we had earlier this year).

Caladenia%20montana.jpg

Caladenia parva - the most common of this type of Caladenia.

Caladenia%20parva%20slippertalk.jpg

Caladenia%20parva%20%20slippertalk.jpg

Caladenia cucullata -

Caladenia%20cucullata.jpg

Caladenia ustulata

Caladenia%20ustulata%20Black%20mountain%20.jpg

Caladenia fuscata

Caladenia%20fuscata%202.jpg

Caladenia carnea

Caladenia%20carnea%20-%20Mt%20Tennat.jpg

Caladenia major - extremely common and very variable in colour. Very rarely you can find a pure white flower.

Caladenia%20major%20-%20Mt%20Tennant%20slippertalk.jpg

Caladenia%20major.jpg

Caladenia%20major%20-%20Black%20Mountain%20-%20slippertalk.jpg

Now I've seen this thread for the very first time and I'm deeply impressed by the beauty of these terrestrical orchids of Australia and your beautiful photos of countryside, orchids in the wild and orchids in your collection. Stunning and congrats, David! 👌

It has been a very wet winter/spring and as a result the local native orchids are flowering profusely. Below are some of the different Spider orchids (genus Caladenia) that are currently flowering around Canberra. A pity that these aren't easy to grow like some of the other native terrestrials.

These interesting species are very difficult to cultivate in Germany due special Australian mycorrhizal fungi. Asymbiotic cultivation is possible but very sensitive. You need a lot of fungicides

I'm deeply impressed by the beauty of these terrestrical orchids of Australia and your beautiful photos of countryside, orchids in the wild and orchids in your collection. Stunning and congrats! 👌

David, I can only say AMEN to everything, that Rudolf expressed so eloquently!

Best regards from Copenhagen, Jens

I found a site selling Australian terrestrial orchids! Yikes! Who's going to send me some soil from OZ? :)

Not me. :) What sort of terrestrials are they selling.

Thanks for sharing. I wish you had some Thelymitra photos!

This is the best I can do for the moment Eric. Only a small flower and not one of the showy species. I took this photo of this Thelymitra last week. I haven't a clue of what species it is. They are too tough for me to differentiate. It is located a few minutes walk from my place. Thelymitra are commonly known as Sun Orchids and as the name suggests they only open in the sunshine. But even then, they only seem to open for a couple of hours in the middle of the day (often 11-1). I was at this site last week where there were literally hundreds of Sun orchids. It was 4 PM and it was very sunny but not a single flower was open.

Sun%20Orchid%20Hall%20Cemetry%204079-gigapixel-scale-2_00x.jpg

Not me. :) What sort of terrestrials are they selling.

Thelymitra are commonly known as Sun Orchids and as the name suggests they only open in the sunshine. But even then, they only seem to open for a couple of hours in the middle of the day (often 11-1). I was at this site last week where there were literally hundreds of Sun orchids. It was 4 PM and it was very sunny but not a single flower was open.

Sun%20Orchid%20Hall%20Cemetry%204079-gigapixel-scale-2_00x.jpg
They have a bunch. Thanks for the photo/info. Bad timing, I guess.

Back