Some Australian terrestrials

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grow mine outside all year round (under a pergola). In winter the temperature gets below freezing on occasions. If you grow them to too shady they may not flower as well either. Do you grow them inside or outside?

Indoors in good light. There is too much temperature differential here 90's to 20's F to grow them outside. they grow well but maybe I keep them too wet to flower.

Here is a nice baptistii at our recent Spring show. The two pots are the same clone. For some bizarre reason, it didn't even manage to get 2nd in its class. The large curta in the foreground beat it for one. Two weeks later it was taken up to a larger Sydney show where it won Champion Australian native and was given an AM award. A different judging panel and a completely different result. I am in line for a few tubers when it is repotted next. :)

Note the variegated curta in the bottom centre.

baptistii%20at%20show%20DSC_7668.jpg

This photo gives a better indication of the size of baptistii. It is surprising this species is not more widely available outside of Australia given it is probably the most spectacular species in this genus.

baptistii%20DSC_7667.jpg

In early October, I spent a week or so in Wilsons Promontory. Wilsons Promontory is located in Victoria and is the most southern point of mainland Australia.

I found the following terrestrial orchids flowering at the time.

Caladenia latifolia - a common widespread species.

Caladenia%20latifolia.jpg

Diuris orientis (I think)

Diuris%20orientis.jpg

Leptoceras menszeii

Leptoceras%20menszeii.jpg

Leptoceras%20menszeii%202.jpg

Pterostylis alveata (maybe. Tough group to identify)

Pterostylis%20DSC06627.jpg

Wilsons Promontory is one of the most stunning places on the planet with beautiful beaches and rugged mountains. It is well worth a visit if you ever have the opportunity. Here are a few photos of the area. Most of the orchids above were found near that sound dune in the first photo. The far mountain range in the first photo is the most southerly point of mainland Australia. A two day walk to get there and back.

DSC_8005.jpg

DSC_8022.jpg

DSC_8466.jpg

Thanks. I've never seen those before. The shapes make me wonder what the pollinators are. Great photos!

Cool, thanks for sharing. Nesbitts used to have some of those for sale until the darned Aussie permit regs caused sticker shock and they stopped exporting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone ever found all the unique and wonderful plants in Australia???
It seems such a wonderfully diverse place to live.

There are still many yet to be discovered. New species are being found all the time. I wouldn't live anywhere else. :)

Back