Solstice

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
Tomorrow is the Solstice. For us in the northern hemisphere it signifies the beginning of Winter, but also heralds the return of the sun with it's light and warmth. For you in the southern hemisphere, Summer begins with it's slowly declining light.

I think it is good that the light and temperatures are tied to the two solstices the way they are: too much light with higher temperatures would be just as bad as colder temperatures and declining light.

Mother Nature sure is smart! Happy Solstice, everyone!

My favorite day of the year!

And with two feet of snow on the ground - welcome MAY!

I am really looking forward to spring next year. I work in such a gorgeous place for that time of the year and I spent last summer and fall learning the latin names of all of the spring wild flowers so I am antsy to compete with the rest of the staff on our daily walks in the garden. Mertensia virginica, here I come! Cornus canadensis, watch out! :rollhappy:

I'm very much ready for longer days. More sunshine seems to come with winter and I'm ready for that also. I like the cold crisp days with the sunshine on the snow.

It's too bad we don't notice the increase in daylight light, as quickly as we notice the decrease!

It's a great season for reflecting on the past year, with promise for the New Year

Burn a Yule log!

Happy Holidays:clap:

The shortest day of the year always makes me happy to realize that the days are now getting longer!

The shortest day of the year always makes me happy to realize that the days are now getting longer!

That was part of the promise of the New Year in olden times. Reflect on your success and mistakes for the last year, and start planning your resolutions for this next year.

Happy Summer Solstice everyone! The hottests months are yet to come for us, my Masdevallia's are not looking forward to it!!!!!

..I spent last summer and fall learning the latin names of all of the spring wild flowers so I am antsy to compete with the rest of the staff on our daily walks in the garden. Mertensia virginica, here I come! Cornus canadensis, watch out! :rollhappy:

Did she say geek? :poke:

Back