Sobralia macrantha

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanLux

Reaction score
This is a plant that I grow since 14 years: it is about 5 feet high!? (+/- 180cm) and spends spring to autunm outside. It is my largest orchid, so I keep it in my greenhouse just as long as necessary. The last 5 years, in jan. and feb. there are +/- 15 shoots bringing up 1,2 or even 3 flowers, each lasting just about 3 days, but in all a blooming period of several weeks.

sobraliamacrantha458060sz4.jpg

sobraliamacrantha458060eo0.jpg

Jean

Isn't that something! It's fun seeing these different & unusual orchids! Thanks!

So cool! I've only seen these once before at the Eric Young Orchid Foundation display at Chelsea Flower Show last summer and they were huuuge! :poke:

I think it is quite biiiiiiiiiiggggggg......:D:D Bravo Jean.... :clap: Excellent... Keep up the good work... Thank you for sharing....

very nice Jean...I don't have the room for these big Sobralias. Thre are many beautiful ones too. I only have one small one and a medium size, virginalis.

Just wanted to show what happened this week to my Sobralia!
As ImageShack seems to 'loose' photos after a certain time???!! (has anybody an idea about this???) , I first repost the 2 old pict. of my original post:

sobraliamacrantha458060wp4.jpg

sobraliamacrantha458060yu7.jpg

and here pictures of the plant / pot and of the roots, that definitely were stronger than the clay pot. I am afraid that I shall have to divide the monster into several parts to bring each back to a manageable size!! Jean

sobraliamacrantha458060ow6.jpg

sobraliamacrantha458060rn2.jpg

wow, now that is spectacular. Saw some monster Sobralias at Atlanta Botanic Garden, some up to ~10ft tall, really impressive plants, glad I didn't win my ebay bid for one though, I was ignorant of their size then and unfortunately they're way too big for me, now at least.

Forrest

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it like to be watered!? :rollhappy: If so, I'll take half! :p

Yes, I think that it has no problem with water!! Standing outside my gh in summer/fall with its large brown 'saucer' normally filled up with water, it has sort of phrag. environment. On the other hand, I am afraid that the problem would be the shipment of one division (half/ third!?) :) :) !! Jean

Yes, I think that it has no problem with water!! Standing outside my gh in summer/fall with its large brown 'saucer' normally filled up with water, it has sort of phrag. environment. On the other hand, I am afraid that the problem would be the shipment of one division (half/ third!?) :) :) !! Jean
I think a machete might be the answer ... :D

Latest posts

Back