Snowdrops

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eds

Reaction score
Got a few of these coming into flower (and some that are going over!)
PXL_20210205_153037500.jpg
Poculiform

PXL_20210205_150453608.jpg
Colossus (going over)

PXL_20210205_150651331.jpg
Augustus

PXL_20210205_150640069.jpg
Anglesey Abbey

PXL_20210205_150629282.jpg
Scharlockii (a later flowering form)

PXL_20210205_150616875.jpg
Viridipice

PXL_20210205_150607350.jpg
S.Arnott

PXL_20210205_150541324.jpg
Straffen

PXL_20210205_150414586.jpg
Sibbertoft Manor

PXL_20210205_150253562.jpg
James Backhouse

Winter blooming flowers are so pretty and cheery. I have Helleborus blooming now and they make me happy. You've
inspired me to plant snow drops this fall and more crocus too.

Thanks abax. If you do, it's well worth searching out some named forms (though not too many of the more expensive ones!).

S.Arnott (or sold as Sam Arnott) and James Backhouse (often sold, incorrectly, as Atkinsii) are both up to twice the size of standard snowdrops and the flowers are much, much bigger.

My first ones starting flowering in November and there are some of the later ones still only just pushing through the ground to extend the show too. If do love them planted with hellebores and Cyclamen coum.

Lovely photos Ed. We have to wait in my region of Germany few weeks more until we can see flowering snowdrops. I like them very much but I'm not so in collecting different sorts/formas of snowdrops as you. I know some of them can be very expensive. One bulb of some can cost much more than a good Paph plant !

One bulb of some can cost much more than a good Paph plant!

Thanks GuRu. The yellow ones pictured above are about £30 a bulb so I do understand! One went on eBay last year for over £400 for one bulb!!!

Linus, read the detailed descriptions before you buy them online, including Etsy. There are a few granite lanterns listed on Esty for less than $100 but they are miniatures, ~6"-10" tall. I am assuming that is not what you are looking for. The large granite lantern will cost a lot more, and unfortunately, there is not a lot available at the moment....
Thanks abax. If you do, it's well worth searching out some named forms (though not too many of the more expensive ones!).

S.Arnott (or sold as Sam Arnott) and James Backhouse (often sold, incorrectly, as Atkinsii) are both up to twice the size of standard snowdrops and the flowers are much, much bigger.

recommended vendors in US east coast:
https://brentandbeckysbulbs.com/https://edgewoodgardens.net/https://carolynsshadegardens.com/

There is a great grower/hybridizer of Snowdrops on the outskirts of Philadelphia.... his Name is John Lonsdale. He also breeds hardy Cyclamen which I see you have in some of your photos. Lol... I just realized Linus gave you a link to his website - Edgewood Gardens. He is a very nice guy to deal with and his property is beautiful.

Last edited:
Wait, what is the name for the ones with yellow ovary? I've never seen those! I wish I had a garden.
I love seeing Snowdrops popping up signaling the arrival of spring.
Those hardy cyclamen leaves are lovely also!

Wait, what is the name for the ones with yellow ovary? I've never seen those! I wish I had a garden.
I love seeing Snowdrops popping up signaling the arrival of spring.
Those hardy cyclamen leaves are lovely also!

The yellow ones are 'Wendy's Gold' but I also have 'Spindlestone Surprise' and nivalis 'Sandersii' which are yellow ones too.

Wendy's Gold is the best grower out of the three and a large size too.

There is a great grower/hybridizer of Snowdrops on the outskirts of Philadelphia.... his Name is John Lonsdale. He also breeds hardy Cyclamen which I see you have in some of your photos. Lol... I just realized Linus gave you a link to his website - Edgewood Gardens. He is a very nice guy to deal with and his property is beautiful.

yah John L is really nice and friendly. He comes to the DC area for the Green Springs Garden sales (when there’s no Covid). I’ve tried to get him to grow/sell marsh orchids like Amitostigma, Habenaria, etc.

If anyone is really into snowdrops, you can register for the Galanthus Gala:

If you live in the UK, Avon Bulbs and Broadleigh Bulbs have a good selection of the more unusual types, among lots of other sellers.

White Flower Farm is well-stocked with bulbs in the fall and the prices are reasonable.
Angela, you are rich! White Flower Farm has been in business for decades...while they have some good stuff but the price is never "reasonable". The same goes for Wayside Gardens. I would buy from them if I can't find an alternative source. I guess I am just living frugally.

Last edited:
Angela, you are rich! White Flower Farm has been in business for decades...while they have some good stuff but the price is never "reasonable". The same goes for Wayside Gardens. I would buy from them if I can't find an alternative source. I guess I am just living frugally.

When I went back to school, our class took a field trip and one of the stops was whiteflower farms. During their presentation, they highlighted their marketing strategy, which was to charge very high prices and create the buzz that their items were elite, which was indicated by the fact the prices were so high. They have an attractive facility and all, but I don’t know that their quality was any better. In some cases items I’d seen were small and still large price tag

Tom and Charles, I've been ordering from WFF for years and I always get quality plant material. I've never lost a plant
I bought from them and the shipping is always on time for planting. I'll pay a bit more for that service. I ain't rich by
any means...nobody in the tree nursery business is rich.

Latest posts

Back