Snakes

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Multi Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In addition to plants I'm a big fan of snakes. This is my family of Gaboon vipers: Floofnoodle, Powderpuff, Gabby, Marshmallow, Poundcake, Tubesteak, and Blueberry.

y0tqH1E.jpg

Last edited:
Cool.

The top right one, is it the West African form of the species? The others look typical of what is found in South Africa and Mozambique.

These are normally pretty docile. Ever tempted to handle them by hand? I know some keepers do simply because it becomes too cumbersome to handle this fat, heavy snakes with snake-sticks.

You should post a photo of them once they have blended in with the leaves.

Cool.

The top right one, is it the West African form of the species? The others look typical of what is found in South Africa and Mozambique.

These are normally pretty docile. Ever tempted to handle them by hand? I know some keepers do simply because it becomes too cumbersome to handle this fat, heavy snakes with snake-sticks.

You should post a photo of them once they have blended in with the leaves.

Top left is Tanzanian, others are Ghana or unknown West Africans. I don't handle them freely, but sometimes use a broad hook under the front end and a hand at the rear if I need more control and support than two hooks can offer. A big girl is definitely a hefty load on the end of a hook.

Very easy to sex, females have a tiny nub of a tail while a male's is several times the length. They are livebearers, my biggest girl had a litter of 37 the year before last.

yXBWeg7.jpg

Nah, they are just pets. No legitimate user would buy venom from a private keeper, there are a handful of laboratories that supply venom that has been collected, processed, and stored under proper conditions for medical and research use.

Latest posts

Back