Small question for Dr. Braem.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
Dr. Braem-

I'm just curious as to if you are currently writing or are planning on writing a monograph for the genus Phragmipedium. As of right now, the most comprehensive text I can find is McCook's PhD dissertation.

Heather said:
I'd heard that rumor also. We could use one you know....:poke:
I had only heard the rumor about Cribb writing one. And I agree that it would be great if Dr. Braem published one! We sure need one.

OK.
1) Indeed McCook is the best we have today
2) I will elaborate on the rest when I am back online with my own equipment

Guido

kentuckiense said:
Dr. Braem-

I'm just curious as to if you are currently writing or are planning on writing a monograph for the genus Phragmipedium. As of right now, the most comprehensive text I can find is McCook's PhD dissertation.

Cribb is "currently preparing an account of tropical American slipper orchids for a Curtis's Botanical Magazine monograph."

from: Cribb, P. Phragmipedium kovachii in Peru, An Adventure to rack Down this Rare Orchid in the Wild. Orchid Review 114 (1271):255-257, Sep/Oct; 2006.

--Stephen

Ok

1) I have already answered the McCook part this afternoon. McCook's Thesis is indeed the best and most elaborate we have to date. However, please do not rely on her citations, I have found a number of them [amazingly enough(?)] among those, the citations of German literature) to be wrong.

2) I have indeed (on and off) been writing on a monograph of the genus Phragmipedium with the great assistance of Prof. Sandy Ohlund. However, as that project is (once more) "for the honour" only, other projects have higher priorities. If there would be a concrete offer from a reliable publisher (and please forget the one from Portland, Oregon), the situation may change.

2a) before anyone asks me about those "other projects", please bear with me when I tell you that I will not disclose any information about them.

regards
Guido

kentuckiense said:
Dr. Braem-

Doing something for which people are willing to pay. It is easy to write books if you can do it on taxpayers money. Furthermore, since I wrote my first book 22 years ago, I have learned that publishers don't care about authors and that orchid people are not willing to spend money on books. So why should I bother?

G.J. Braem

SlipperFan said:
What could be more important than writing a book on Phrags??? :poke:

Braem said:
So why should I bother?

G.J. Braem

Publish or parish.:poke:

To add validity to your opinion.
To further your science.
To pass your knowledge on to young potential taxonomists.
To out do your competitors.
To have something tangible in hand to be proud of.
To get a tax write off.
To give Heather another book to buy.
To give me a book to buy.
"So it is written, so it shall be".
It is very easy to self publish books these days.

I'd certainly buy it.....I regularly refer to Guido's books with the Bakers and with Chiron....I really enjoy books about slippers...I think I have most of the ones published in the past 15 years, although I can't afford Cribb's revised paph book...Take care, Eric

the trouble is, there's maybe 10 people on this website that will fork out the cash, and to them it will be more than worth it. and there's probably another couple hundred of people nationwide in the same boat. but in order to make it cost effective (in terms of the time to prepare the manuscript, not just printing costs), you'd need to sell several thousand. and in that regard, Dr Braem is right on. Now if I can interest anyone in purchasing my yet-to-be published book on stereocilia micromechanics, and how to break the lab equipment involved in its measurement, maybe I can donate some of those funds into getting Dr Braem's work published.

How about telling a publisher that you will be buying 5000 copies?

Heather, the problem is not with the authors. It is with the publishers. I can have it published in a journal, but that brings me nothing.

Guido

Heather said:
Well, I'd buy it. :)

Hey Lance,

you would not be willing to transfer 50000 Euros on my account would you? After that, I will immediately finish the book.

Cheers
Guido

gonewild said:
Publish or parish.:poke:

To add validity to your opinion.
To further your science.
To pass your knowledge on to young potential taxonomists.
To out do your competitors.
To have something tangible in hand to be proud of.
To get a tax write off.
To give Heather another book to buy.
To give me a book to buy.
"So it is written, so it shall be".
It is very easy to self publish books these days.

Dear Dot,

that is nice and kind of you ... If you find 1249 people to join in, we have a deal

cheers
Guido

SlipperFan said:
Who said???

I'd pay for it in advance of publication, if I knew it would indeed be published.

Braem said:
Hey Lance,

you would not be willing to transfer 50000 Euros on my account would you? After that, I will immediately finish the book.

Cheers
Guido

Gee, I thought you were a scientist not a capitalist! Your supposed to despise anyone you tries to profit from the environment. :poke:

I know very well the costs to publish a book. And I know very well how little money most authors realize from a book. (It is sad)

But self publishing is very easy now. Check out lulu.com

You don't need 50000 Euros, only your time to format the manuscript. If you don't want to do it send it to me and I'll do it for you. :evil:

Latest posts

Back