Small plants that enjoy cold nights inside cloud forest refridgerated chamber?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clintonsparsons

Reaction score
I grow highland nepenthes,heliamphora and am getting into pleurothallids. My chamber is a commercial coca-cola fridge. At night i keep the temperature set to 50F then once it rises to 55F the fridge cools it back down to 50. The day is set to 75F, and the fridge kicks in once it is 78. It only has to come on for a couple of minutes like three times per day, but it turns on/off all night long.

I have always wanted to try paphs/phrags, but i am but i am not sure if there are any small/miniature plants that enjoy these cold night time temperatures. Can you please reccomend any plants that fit the bill?

Other info: I have excellent airflow, my humidity is set to 85-90%, and i even have a pressurized co2 setup with controller to maintain about 1500 ppm co2. My light is a Migro Veg set to 50%.

Thanks!FB_IMG_1591830804045.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Clinton, looks like a very interesting setup. I’m curious to see more pics, and your light and hygrometer setup. I have a Winerium (wine fridge combo) that set to 13C nights to 23C days, and many cold growing miniature orchids thrive in there. See my thread on cuthbersoniis.

As for paphs that can tolerate your T range, many mountainous species like charlesworthiis, henryanums, fairrieanums, villosums, parishiis and complex bulldog hybrids can do well.

Thanks, I will look into those mpre but they are kind of big. Any miniature species?

What would you like to see? My humidity is a inkbird controller and I will take a picture of my light tonight.

The first 3 paphs are small. Look at the miniature barbigerum too.

What the the foot candles of the various levels?

I wanted to see how you manage the humidity and the connections of the hygrometer.

Back