Small Paphiopedilum philippinense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickp

Reaction score
OK, let's see if I can actually upload a photo.

Here are some photos of the small Paph philippinense that I mentioned in my introductory post--a couple of people seemed interested in them. The two clones are about the same size vegetatively--when grown in part shade, leaves max out at about 15-18 cm long, but the plants can be smaller, especially when grown in full sun. I currently have one division in bud with leaves no longer than 12 cm. Flowers are small and usually two or three per inflorescence, never more.

The flowers won't win any awards, but I like them. In the mid '90s, Ron Ciesinski had a bench of these guys at Taylor orchids. I assume they were old wild-collected plants that he just kept dividing. If I remember correctly, at least one alba clone came off that bench, and some of the plants had darker flowers than the two that I ended up with.

The second photo is outstanding. The flowers have lots of yellow tones, which is one of the aspects I like about philippinense. I think the petal stance is lovely as well.

I would love to have seen some of the ones with darker flowers. Particularly in regards to the petals. But otherwise, it's hard to go wrong with such a diminutive multifloral Paph.

If the horizontal petal stance of the first one is typical, that should be crossed with roth and lowii for improved hybrids, which might also be smaller growing. It also has awesome coloring.

That's really nice and perfectly grown. Congrats!

That's really nice. would be perfect for my kind of growing (LED shelves).
Hope to find one in the EU some day.

I saw a shortleaved and small philippinense that came from Orchids & more, Munich. They sold it as laevigatum. They don't have it in their offerings anymore, but it's a bigsized vendor - maybe they still have af few in stock.

That is a lovely compact clone. I had a dwarf clone of phillipinense as well. I flowered it once but unfortunately died after that.

Very nice and very impressive and I think this clone is the best choice for indoor growers. If I remenber correctly I saw such short leaved P. philies in Europe too, many years ago. Unfortunately I can't remenber when and where.

Thanks for all the comments. Both clones are starting to spike, so maybe I’ll outcross instead of selfing. I thought I had sent seed to Troy years ago but can’t find a record. Either I forgot, or the capsules aborted.

I also have a very recently purchased rothschildianum in bud, so maybe there will be an opportunity to make a hybrid.

I also have a very recently purchased rothschildianum in bud, so maybe there will be an opportunity to make a hybrid.

Remember to make reciprocal crosses: the small size and/or petal stance could be influenced by the choice of seed parent.

Compact, well presenting multies are the dream of home Paph growers the world over.

Thanks for all the comments. Both clones are starting to spike, so maybe I’ll outcross instead of selfing. I thought I had sent seed to Troy years ago but can’t find a record. Either I forgot, or the capsules aborted.

I would be willing to flask these for you, if you need it. Or just want to send the seed to two different places to increase your odds of success (sometimes I do that).

If the two clones are small, then the outcross is the best idea I think. Not sure it is worth the time to cross it with the roth, unless it is also a dwarf. If you are going for small St. Swithin, then use the phil as the pod parent if you go that way. Or do whatever you want, I'm not in charge... :)

I would be willing to flask these for you, if you need it. Or just want to send the seed to two different places to increase your odds of success (sometimes I do that).

Sounds good to me. I’ll let you know if/when I have seed.

If the two clones are small, then the outcross is the best idea I think. Not sure it is worth the time to cross it with the roth, unless it is also a dwarf. If you are going for small St. Swithin, then use the phil as the pod parent if you go that way. Or do whatever you want, I'm not in charge... :)

The roth is enormous, at least vegetatively—haven’t seen flowers yet. Perhaps a smallish multifloral like O. wilhelminae might be a better partner.

Hi Nick, the photos you’ve posted of the 2 clones of small Paph philippinense are quite nice. I wonder if you ever had seedlings of them or divisions you’re willing to sell? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back