slugs in my greenhouse

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abax

In Remembrance 2023
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody got a remedy for slugs that can be used on a wet concrete floor? I can't find where on
earth the slugs are getting in, but I found a huge one on one of my Phrag. pots. I had a panic
attack and had to pull the slimy thing off by hand.

Anybody got a remedy for slugs that can be used on a wet concrete floor? I can't find where on
earth the slugs are getting in, but I found a huge one on one of my Phrag. pots. I had a panic
attack and had to pull the slimy thing off by hand.
I wish I knew... The iron phosphate baits (sluggo) don't seem to do anything for my slugs. Metaldehyde worked pretty well, but it is pretty hard on pets and you probably can't buy it. I've tried copper strips on my bench legs, they just slime their way across. Evil little things. Need more toads.

I find them living in the pots, out of sight till night. A night time visit with a flashlight can help. If I see a slime trail I repot if I can.
Also according to the USDA a caffeine drench is said to work, even on bush snails. Caffeine capsules (Amazon or others) 800 mg/gallon. Ray may have an opinion.

There is always the ball peen hammer but that’s kinda messy and emotionally stressful.

I use copper rings around newly emerging plants in the garden. I also cover the area inside the ring with grit. The rings seem to deter slugs and snails from crossing and reduce the damage on tender, newly emerging growth but they will not stop them crossing completely or completely protect an area.

I also water my garden and greenhouse with nematode worms a couple of times each year. Again it won't stop all slugs but it does knock their numbers back.

I found that smearing a swath of “Tree Tanglefoot” around bench legs is a pretty effective barrier. It is a Vaseline-like product that was originally sold as a way to keep pigeons off city buildings, but now is sold as an insect barrier.

I suppose caffeine might be effective, but I don’t know just how effective.

I found that smearing a swath of “Tree Tanglefoot” around bench legs is a pretty effective barrier. It is a Vaseline-like product that was originally sold as a way to keep pigeons off city buildings, but now is sold as an insect barrier.

I suppose caffeine might be effective, but I don’t know just how effective.
Ray, here is a link to a USDA article on cafine. I don’t know how effective caffeine is either but the concept is interesting and the caffeine capsules are not expensive. My first line of defense is repot. It’s the bush snails that one can barely see that annoy me the most.

https://www.ars.usda.gov/news-events/news/research-news/2002/caffeine-foils-snails/

I used to have a lot of slugs but since I put the plants into high-walled trays and started watering by hand instead of spraying water everywhere I have a lot less problem with them.

A while back I acquired some Deadline MPs (mini pellets) containing measurol. Only truly effective bush snail remedy I’ve found.

There is an old technique that is similar, that's also supposed to be effective:

Items required: Beer, Chair, Hammer

1) Sit in Chair
2) Drink beer
3) Hit any slugs you see with the hammer.
This reminds me of my mom in her garden except she would drink soju and use chopsticks to pick up slugs and put them in a cup of salt water

Ray where might I find Deadline? I like the hitting with a hammer best, but I can't drink alcohol and there's not room for a chair...damn! I have tried diatomaceous earth and
the slugs just went right on through it. Is measural a sort of metaldehyde?

The stink of a shotgun would deter the deer :D and a freezer…
It’s too bad the other technique doesn’t work for spotted lantern flies; a few nights ago I got home from work and I attempted to smack 1.5 doz nymphs on the plants on the stairs landing entryway and step on others. Even the small larvae jump quickly repeatedly :/ . Need a squirt bottle with killer koolaid to hit them before they jump

Angela, as if you hadn't enough on your plate!

Maybe the safest bid would be to combine a couple of methods, that you consider compatible...so to speak wage a multifront war: maybe combine Ray's Tree Tanglefoot barrier with something toxic for the li'll b.....s (caffeine or whatever it takes)...
As a window sill grower, I've only had to deal with the slugs and snails, that I've carried with me home, when buying the plants...and for me it has worked pretty well to lure the bastards out of their hide with a slice of carrot and then remove them manually. That's of course in no way sufficiently effective for a GH. But could maybe be used as the final cleaning up, after hopefully some of the proposed methods have taken care of the majority of your nasty intruders!

Thank you so much Ray. I don't think I need 10 lbs. for one or two slugs. I wonder if
the stink of metadehyde might deter deer too.
Deadline comes in a liquid also. A couple drops in each pot will attract and kill slugs and most snails. I'm not sure on bush snails, but I've had good results in the past.

Back