Slow-Release Fertilizers?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Per

Reaction score
Do any of you include slow-release fertilizers in with your mix for paphs when you repot? I use these for my citrus trees and amorphophali (is this the plural?), in which they seem to work really well. I know that they cut down on burn and are available in a variety of N-P-K ratios, some with micronutrients. I am thinking they could help significantly with nitrogen leaching, but I do not want to use them if they produce more salt build up.

For my paphs, I repot about once a year. I generally (with exceptions) use small bark mix, broken up with a few pieces of large bark and packing peanuts. In a few of my plants, I have added small amounts of cocoa mulch (this does break down VERY quickly (~3 months), but as a small percentage of the mix seems to help with root production for me, since it take that "new edge" off the bark).

If I put the fertilizer in now, they will have ~7-9 months (depending on temperature) of fertilizer. I will only have to amend for calcium and magnesium. This also means that they will go off the fertilizer right about the right time in the fall, just as the temps start to drop (although it would have been better if I thought of this in late March).

Thoughts?

MSU only for me.
Dynomite is reported to be one of the better slow release, due to the polymer outer layer, the release is supposed to be quite even.

I use it on all of my multiflorals, concolor, godefroyae and some of the parvis ( emersonii, hangianum). It is a very common practice in Thailand as an example to put a lot and a lot of osmocote ( I would say 0.5cm layer on top of the pot for the concolor...). I use the nearly 14-13-15 + Mg + oligos, and so far no problems. Taiwanese fertilizer most of the competition paphs with time-release fertilizers too. Two things, it is better to use tap water then, or alkaline, or to have a potting mix that is neutral to slightly alkaline to start with. For roths, they make wonderful growth with time-release fertilizers.

Latest posts

Back