Slippertalk Spotlight: Paphiopedilum micranthum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon in SW Ohio

Reefer, the legal kind
Reaction score
***As a Spotlight thread, please share your pics, advice, comments, and anything else about the spotlighted slipper***

Paphiopedilum micranthum comes from areas of China and Vietnam and was discovered offically in 1951. It is a member of the Parvisepalum group and is known for it's large lip and huge flowers, which seem to give this species the most undeserving name loosely translated to "small flower".

The plant seems to adapt very well to cultivation, though it can be a shy bloomer. I personally grow it fairly bright in intermediate temps in a mix that is allowed to just approach dryness between waterings. Please add any tips you find helpful in it's culture.

Here's some pics, please share yours as well!

Some pics of my "standard" form:
cx8.jpg

cx10.jpg

cx7.jpg

Leo Schordje's Kwong See form:
sha2.jpg

sha3.jpg

Jon

Last edited:
Not in bloom, but this is one of my favourite P. micranthum clones. Love these leaves.

mic.strange.jpg

mine seems to like S/H. I'd ask the previous owner how it was grown before I got it, but I dont think I really want to know :evil:

To my total astonishment mine has a bud that hasn't blasted yet.

This species has one of if not the largest flower to plant ratios among Paphs. (Does anyone keep track of such numbers?)

Lien, the leaves on that thing are amazing!

This was mine before loosing it to erwinia this summer. It grew very well in the basket with a mix of CHC/sponge rock/charcoal and a bit of oyster shell. The live moss grew well on this mix too.

Wow Lien! That is very wierd foliage... what do the flowers look like?

Most have already saw one of mine, but will post here anyways...

100_0464.jpg

-P.A. Mahon

I just realized the markings on Lien's leaves look like the ones on the petals. Shouldn't be surprising, but very cool nonetheless.

This species is adapted for taking temperatures to the point where frost or light snow will be on the plant. And winter light levels are higher than summer light levels.

Although many clones are capable of growing and blooming with more even temp and lighting regimes (as Leo has demonstrated). Pushing the seasonality differences could induce a stuborn clone to faster growth or blooming.

lienluu said:
Not in bloom, but this is one of my favourite P. micranthum clones. Love these leaves.

mic.strange.jpg

Incredible leaves Lien ! Does this plant have a specific clonal name and do you know where it originates from initially ? never seen a micranthum with such a beautiful foliage !!!

Back