Slippertalk Spotlight: Paph. St. Swithin

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon in SW Ohio

Reefer, the legal kind
Reaction score
I thought this might make for a good addition to the forum, as they go over really well on the coral forums. Basically, a species or hybrid is chosen for the Spotlight and everyone shares pics and comments about it as well as some history.

Paphiopedilum Saint Swithin (or St. Swithin) is a primary hybrid of rothschildianum and philippinense and was registered by Statter back in 1901. It has stood the test of time and still remains very popular today having garnered over 150 quality awards by the AOS and at least 5 of which are FCCs.

Here's some pics of ones I've come across or own:

St. Swithin 'Eunice Cox' HCC/AOS
sts3.jpg

sts2.jpg

St. Swithin 'Tom Cox' HCC/AOS
Paph.jpg

And one from a show:
sha5.jpg

Please share your pics, experiences, and lore of this wonderful hybrid!

Jon
________
FERRARI MYTHOS

Last edited:
Cool idea, Jon!
This is a photo I took at the greenhouse. Wish I'd taken the plant! (purchase, of course) But I've subsequently gotten one, now NBS...

Paph_StSwithin.jpg

St. Swithin is one of the most vigorous multiflorals to date and also passes it on to it's progeny!

Here a few of mine:

St. Swithin 'Vessel of Gold'
StSwithinVesselofGold.jpg

St. Swithin 'Algonquin'
St.jpg

St. Swithin 'King of Kings'
PaphSt.jpg

Peter,

Do you know the parents used for your 'King of King's'? That is fantastic!
I bloomed one, and it was nice, but I have issues with the fact that so many St. Swithins have sort of a crazy petal stance; either they're kinda droopy due to the philippinense influence, or the stick out at funny angles because of the roths. So, I sold mine and bought two new ones that I have high hopes for. One is the Krull-Smith cross pictured here:
http://www.krullsmith.com/assets/paphiopedilum/paph_st_swithin_crystelle-200.jpg

And the other I haven't been able to locate a photo of yet, but the cross is made with roebellinii 'Birch Point' which imparted a really nice petal stance into my Paph. Berenice, so I am hoping it does the same for this St. Swithin.

Here's a photo of my dear departed St. Swithin.
swithin95whvi3.jpg

I know some folks here have already seen this, but Paph Saint Swithin is my favorite roth hybrid and this cultivar is my favorite. I was able to get this shot of this plant while it was sitting on the end of a bench at Krull-Smith after just returning from a show.

stswithcrystelle.jpg

Saint Swithin was one of the first roth primaries in my collection. I find that it is a reliable bloomer. I wish mine looked as nice os some of those awarded clones.
St.jpg

Here is a pic of a very dark one that I found on the web. It is Saint Swithin 'Germeni' AM/AOC
florafest.jpg

I think thats an awesome idea. I'd take a pic of mine but its dead as can be.

St. Swithin's day if thou dost rain
For forty days it will remain
St. Swithin's day if thou be fair
For forty days 'twill rain nae mair

We may never know why he named it this. It could be that it bloomed for him on Saint Swithin's Day, July 15

Do we know what Statter's first name was?

Back