Slippertalk Spotlight: Paph. Michael Koopowitz

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon in SW Ohio

Reefer, the legal kind
Reaction score
***As a Spotlight thread, please share your pictures, advice, comments, and anything else about the spotlighted slipper***

Paphiopedilum Michael Koopowitz is a primary hybrid between philippinense and sanderianum. It was registered in 1993 by Paphanatics and has since garnered over 20 flower quality awards from the American Orchid Society. This grex is well known for its dark colored and long petaled flowers, in my opinion getting the best from both parents.

This plant is of moderately easy culture, but can get large as a mature plant. I grow it in a mix that allows the roots to remain moist but at the same time allows generous amounts of air to be around the roots preventing stagnant conditions. It receives very bright, but indirect light and its leaves will take on a greenish yellow appearance with almost a bluish tint when grown in ideal light levels. High humidity and high air circulation will further aid in producing a lush and thriving plant that grows slightly faster than many multifloral type Paphiopedilums.

Please excuse the quality of the pics as the only ones I have are from a show, and PLEASE share your pics as well!

Paph-5.jpg

Paph-4.jpg

Jon

This bloomed earlier this year. I ended up giving this plant to a ST forum member.

mk1.JPG

mk2.jpg

Below is the first M.K. to bloom. I believe it came from Taiwan. It is (sanderianum x philippinense). The growth that is blooming has a 23" leaf span. It also has a start with a 10" leaf span. It currently has 3 flowers open with another bud to open. The petals are about 13 1/2" in length.

479PaphMichaelKoopowitz.jpg

Dang
I have a MK X Roth I got from Paphinatics about 5 years ago. It was a seedling when I got it, and I bet It hasn't grown 2 more inches since I got it. It does get a new leaf now and then.:sob:

awww. heck... 23 inch leaf span aye... the biggest MK I have is only 6 inches leaf tip to leaf tip! Admittedly, they seem to grow very quickly... it's only been since Sept 2006 that they came out of flask!

Bob, do you know what the clonal parents are? I bought a flask from In-Charm in Taiwan and I'm hoping it will be as wonderfully coloured as yours.

Here's mine. Paph Michael Koopowitz 'Fergus' HCC/AOS. (79 points) It was awarded last year as a first bloom plant with five flowers.

mkawardpic-1.jpg

mkawardpic2-1.jpg

well done, why do some have curlier petals? It this genetic or a cultivation thing

Darn it, cannot see Wendy's pics. :confused:

Patrix, I think it often depends on the parents used. If your MK is made with sanderianum as the pod (?) parent, the petals may be longer; with philippinense as the pod, probably shorter; philippinense var. roebelinii, perhaps twistier.

Here's a not so good photo of mine from a couple years ago. It has taken two years to almost mature the new growth, but it now has a new start so I am hopefull that something will happen soon.

I would like one with longer petals next time. Though this is nice, there are a lot of nicer ones out there, imo. This is:
philippinense var. roebelinii 'Monte Vista' x sanderianum 36inches

mk3vk7.jpg

Back