Slippers from Down Under

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kmarch

Hello Everyone,

Kevin here, just wanted to introduce myself! I live in Melbourne Australia and grow mostly Paphs (85%) and Coelogyne with a few Cymbidiums, Dendrobiums, and Cattleyas thrown in for good measure. I have about 6 Phrags now too. Phrags are REALLY hard to come by here.

I'm interested in all aspects of Paphs/Phrags. I am an Associate Judge in the Australian Orchid Council and so am in interested in judging, I'm trying to launch a small Paph/Phrag nusery so am interested in commercial culture info and hybridizing trends, and aside from all of that, I like growing for the pleasure of it!

Cheers,

-Kevin

G'day, Kevin! :)
Welcome to the forum. We have several members from your neck of the woods and a common thread amongst them is the lack of Phrag availability so I think your hope of changing that is great!

I think Stephan and David (two of our Aussie's) mentioned several of the Paph nurseries were closing as well so it sounds like you may be a breath of fresh air!

It would be interesting to have all the commercial growers here chime in on how they grow in their greenhouses. Maybe I will start a thread about it.
Conditions will be different of course, but still worth learning from.

Okay, I've rambled on enough...Glad you have joined us!!

Welcome aboard!

Kinda weird how opposite availabilities are between our countries. Corals you could go to the petstore and buy for $20 would cost a few hundred or more over here. Phrags are getting cheap over here, so I imagine it's the same scenario over there.

Jon

Hi Dot,

What a FANTASTIC surprise! I sure miss all of my orchid friends back home although I am making some here too. Every once in a while I go to Bill's website to see what this years' "mania" is or to see if I recognize any of my friends in the openhouse pics.

Lots of great Paphs to grow here. We get stuff from Taiwan and some things are legal here like Paph helena that (if I understand correctly) aren't legal in the US yet. i recently picked up a bunch of alba paphs, bellatulum alba, concolor alba and a bunch of alba crosses. Love the albas.

Please send my regards to everyone around there who remembers me.

Cheers!

Hi Kevin welcome

this is a great place for looking at phrags we only dream of .Hope when you get that phrag nursery going you'll be able to send to west aust ? again welcome to fourm from an West Aust.
ps Heather grows some great besseae over there :sob: wish we had that variety here. check them out . Billie

kmarch said:
Lots of great Paphs to grow here. We get stuff from Taiwan and some things are legal here like Paph helena that (if I understand correctly) aren't legal in the US yet. i recently picked up a bunch of alba paphs, bellatulum alba, concolor alba and a bunch of alba crosses. Love the albas.
Yes we are jealous!

kmarch said:
Hi Dot,

What a FANTASTIC surprise! I sure miss all of my orchid friends back home although I am making some here too. Every once in a while I go to Bill's website to see what this years' "mania" is or to see if I recognize any of my friends in the openhouse pics.

Please send my regards to everyone around there who remembers me.

Cheers!
Will do, Kevin!

I think it is great that you are going to start a Paph/Phrag nursery down there. Who knows, maybe we can do business someday!

Alba forms are rather difficult to find around here sometimes. Who knows...

Kevin,
Get to know Billie, she is a great grower and the only one in Australia I know of who has a healthy blooming size plant of Phrag exstaminodium. That one is rare even up here.
Cheers Billie, good to see your posts.
Leo

Latest posts

Back