Slipper Display at our Open House

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is the Complex Slipper display during our open house this last January. Hope you all can make it next January.

SlipperForMarket_1p.jpg

Just a few of what you have to choose from if you come visit us during the open house!

Theresa

That's a nice sight!

So, where are you? It'd be great if you would please update your profile to show your general location in the upper right hand corner of your posts.

John, Theresa's business is located in Washington state.
Quite a ways from you and me, damnit! The name of her
business is Hillsview. She not only grows beautiful Paphs.,
but she's great with Milts. too...and very nice.

Stunning display, Theresa. I'd love to have all of them.

Quite a ways from you and me, damnit! The name of her
business is Hillsview. She not only grows beautiful Paphs.,
but she's great with Milts. too...and very nice.

Stunning display, Theresa. I'd love to have all of them.

actually , she's in Oregon ..just south of Portland

Ahhhh Complex Paphs = Only Paphs No such thing as Complex Phragmipedium, hence no besseae. I get it now. Thanks Eric.
How else are you going to learn this stuff if someone doesn't tell you. Are there any books on Phrags and Paphs that don't cost an arm and a leg?

i thought complex was just a type of breeding (hybrid a + hybrid b) though it is mostly commonly applied to Paphs

i thought complex was just a type of breeding (hybrid a + hybrid b) though it is mostly commonly applied to Paphs

Exactly. That is correct. The word "Complex" is very widely used to refer to the big round Paph hybrids with a multigenerational hybrid family tree, just like the beautiful ones in this thread. However, technically, "complex" also has a broader meaning....refering to anything that is NOT a primary hybrid. When a primary hybrid is crossed onto anything else, the offspring are a complex hybrid. We just don't normally refer to complex Phrags; but, that doesn't mean it isn't a correct term to use.

Abax, Ehanes and Theresa, thanks for the location info. Too bad you're so far away from me!

Thanks for the correction on location. I "knew" that; I just
had a senior moment which happens more and more these
days. I bought three complex Paphs. from Hillsview some
months ago and they are beautiful plants a bit short of blooming...maybe a year or so.

If anyone is interested, I bought the following: Quiberon Bay (Winston Churchill 'Redoubtable' FCC/AOS x
Milmoore 'Maltese' AM/AOS, Alhambra (Vashon Legacy 'Suntan' x Gigi 'Malibu' AM/AOS) and (Olympic Mountains
'Grande' x Greenvale 'Hillsview').

actually , she's in Oregon ..just south of Portland

Washington, Oregon..six of one, half dozen of the other..:p

Ahhhh Complex Paphs = Only Paphs No such thing as Complex Phragmipedium, hence no besseae.

No there are complex phrags but we don't commonly refer to them as such. There was a lull in phrag hybridization until the 'discovery' of Phrag besseae in 1981. since then Phrag people normally speak of hybrids in generation terms, Gen 3 or Gen 4 being the most that have been developed to date. Unfortunately, the higher in generation of besseae hybrids you go the more you come to have an almost besseae flower. Thus, the inclusion of new/different phrags, kovachii, andreettae, boisserianum, etc., becomes important to produce new larger, differently colored, or shaped blooms.

Washington/Oregon.

Pretty much like New York/New Jersey same thing right? :poke:

The geography is a bit different.

That's a good comparison. As I recall New Jersey is the OTHER state where you're not allowed to fuel your own vehicle. At least you couldn't when I was there for the Eastern Orchid Congress in 1989.

Oh... and there is that sales tax thing...

Latest posts

Back