Slc. Love Fresh 'Peter' x Lc. Dennis Olivas 'The Best': first bloom seedling!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! Just thought I'd post a few snaps of this new hybrid I received from Fred Clarke the last time he visited the Vancouver Orchid Society (I believe it was Sept. 2018). It grows well under HID lamps. I showed the hybridizer the photos and his comment was "this is the only one I have seen with flares, all the rest have been pure yellow." This lasts rather well having been out about three weeks now but I'm growing it fairly cool and dry. 20210119_180431.jpg20210119_180413.jpg20210119_180357.jpg20210119_180634.jpg20210119_180329.jpg20210119_180257.jpg

The colors here are muted under current light. Perhaps a pic in sunlight might be better?
Yes, probably the colour would be better but it's too cold right now to take it outside for a photo and the daylight in Vancouver is also not that bright except on exceptional days. The background paint is also pale yellow so that doesn't provide much contrast. I will have to try again next time it blooms because it is fading as of today.

The "pot luck" of crosses is irresistible!! I have one of his crosses that is growing EVER so slowly. Maybe it will be cute like this as well?
With hybrid seedlings the price of plants is usually fairly reasonable but the results generally very unpredictable. If you don't like to gamble, better get a mericlone (and considering the risk of mutations occuring during the cloning process, you're still gambling). In the case of this cross, both parents were flared and yet, as the grower has admitted, so far all those he's seen so far have been pure yellow except this one. With new grexes you never know what you're going to get. Experimenting with conditions may help yours to grow faster but some just grow slowly and you need patience. Good luck with it!

Latest posts

Back