Six Paph. gratrixianum flowers in a 5 inch pot

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_B.

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moved this plant from the in-house Orchidarium to our cooler sun room under fluorescent lights last year (since it didn't seem to appreciate the higher daytime temps and blasted buds last year).

Flowers seem smaller this year and pardon the lack of staking, etc., was interested to see how they would present themselves. Will place them closer to the lights in the next cycle...

Interesting drill, take care all, Mike

Attachments

• Paph gratrixianum.jpg
    Paph gratrixianum.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 58
Excellent. I have one like yours that doesn't have very much of the rosie pink colour in the dorsal sepal and I keep it cooler as wellmostly because it won't fit under the lights I have. In 2017 it also had 6 flowers on it in a 6" pot.Sometimes I think it grows itself. Maybe that's true all gratrixianums I don't know.
Don

Excellent. I have one like yours that doesn't have very much of the rosie pink colour in the dorsal sepal and I keep it cooler as well mostly because it won't fit under the lights I have. In 2017 it also had 6 flowers on it in a 6" pot.Sometimes I think it grows itself. Maybe that's true all gratrixianums I don't know.
Don
I agree Don, seems like all I have to do is give them watered and fed and they take care of everything else. Very vigorous and easy once you acknowledge they like being on the cool side.... Thanks, Mike

Wonderful plant you have!
Coolness probably does the trick, mine is growing in warm conditions (it's too big for any cooler place here). It grows like weeds but is reluctant to flowering for at least 6 years FS.

Lovely P. gratrixianum and six flowers at the same time is great.....though is doesn't have much reddish/pink in its dorsal. Sor far this kind of P. gratixianum attracted me the best but I like yours very much, too. 👌

......and pardon the lack of staking, etc., was interested to see how they would present themselves......
IMHO flowers like that with a single bloom on the flower stem don't need staking at all. So I enjoy yours without staking. This is quite diferent with multifloral Paphs or plants which get light from one side and the spike grows inclined to the light.

Wonderful plant you have!
Coolness probably does the trick, mine is growing in warm conditions (it's too big for any cooler place here). It grows like weeds but is reluctant to flowering for at least 6 years FS.

My temps run between 76 - 63 F (day - night) under fluorescent lights run 16 hours during the summer and 14 hours in winter.

Oh my gosh! Went right on internet and got one at Marlowe Orchids. They have one left. Guess that makes 98 plants for me oh my

I love shrubs!!! Which I define as lots of blooming growths in a small pot.

I blame my love of shrubs on the AOS Bulletin cover photo in the '70s with a Paph. delenatii with lots of flowers in a small-ish pot.

Latest posts

Back