Silica Stone, any experience?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

Yesterday I was in a hydro store for the first time. Sitting next to the Hydroton, they had what was called Silica Stone. Has anyone tried it? Is it as good for orchids as the label indicates?
I tried a search & have come up with nothing. Thanks Rose

I did a search on this site & came up with nothing, but after kentuckiense's question & having more time I did a web search. Seems Dyna-Gro Dyna Rok, diatomite is pretty much the same thing, so I'm guessing AussieGold falls into the same category? Would still be interesting to hear peoples opinion on their experience with it.

I am a diatomite fan.

Aussie Gold has diatomite in it, but it also has coco-fiber and other things, as I understand it.

Yesterday I was in a hydro store for the first time. Sitting next to the Hydroton, they had what was called Silica Stone. Has anyone tried it? Is it as good for orchids as the label indicates?
I tried a search & have come up with nothing. Thanks Rose

I believe that Zach is right.
I read somewhere that it is the same exact thing as Diatomite. only the naming by different company (in this case Dyna-grow)

Last edited:
I use it in mix with bark and sphag, and as top dressing. I like it because it wets very easily after drying and helps to disperse water nicely when watering.

I use it in mix with bark and sphag, and as top dressing. I like it because it wets very easily after drying and helps to disperse water nicely when watering.

Don't you love it that they sizzle when you pour water on them!

Latest posts

Back