Silence, I noticed your thread about Live Sphagnum moss

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not having enough live sphag for the whole pots, I've potted up a couple of plants needing reviving with dead chilean in the bottom and a wreath of the live stuff around the plant itself. We'll see if it'll jump start these that have been just keeping time in sphag-and-box.

Heather said:
So, how will we know you are telling the truth, oh Master of the Moss?? ;)

is this were i'm suppose to say bend over and i'll show you?
oh, wait a minute. that's what i'm not suppose to say....

Mark said:
Not having enough live sphag for the whole pots, I've potted up a couple of plants needing reviving with dead chilean in the bottom and a wreath of the live stuff around the plant itself. We'll see if it'll jump start these that have been just keeping time in sphag-and-box.

Mark, I think your approach will work as long as you use distilled or r/o water. In making a bog I used peat moss which is just ground up dead sphagnum plus other mosses and whatever else was in the ground that they harvested!

NYEric said:
Since I never see any it must be illegal to sell in NYC.

Eric, have no clue why you cannot find live sphagnum in NY. There are no carnivorous plant dealers there anymore? The live sphagnum I got came from NY. You should probably find Chilean live for sale from carnivorous plant growers ?????

likepaphs, :drool:
please try again when you can on getting images of your mosses. It would be cool to see them. And you do not have to bend over to do so !! Yo!:noangel:

Heather!!!!!!:rollhappy: :rollhappy: :D

you asked for it...

here are some of the mosses
oh, and just for the record, i don't consider myself as the king (though i just got a crown at the dentist's...), i just feel i got lucky....
this is the green goo that i think preceeds moss, though i could be wrong
greengoo.jpg

mosses.jpg

some of the floating moss 'buttons' i dropped in the water
floaters.jpg

yeh, i got a lotta peat in those trays... dead leaves too... oh well.

smartie2000 said:
I think the green gooo is an alga...

i dunno. it seems that shortly after the goo is seen on the media (typically peat moss), moss starts growing. i'm quick to jump to conclusions, though....

I wondered about this as the "magic" of growing paphs in moss. Keep in mind that the active ingredient in Superthrive (napthyl acetic acid) is a synthetic auxin, or auxin mimic to Indole-3-acetic acid.

http://journals.tubitak.gov.tr/botany/issues/bot-02-26-1/bot-26-1-3-9912-2.pdf

This paper says that mosses produce these hormones, but doesn't say they excrete these hormones. But a healthy growth of live moss will also have a bed of dead and composting moss underneath as an alternative way to release these growth regulating hormones.

Definitely N fixing in rain forests, I learned in botany. I also have some green balls on my phrag's bark and roots in addition to bryophytes. They look like Nostoc to me, which are N fixing alga. I don't know what else the green balls could be...

took a look under a microscope at the green goo and it's mostly what appear to be green single celled organisms, or how i might imagine algae would look under a microscope... some of them move around.
actually, i should say single celled as i wouldn't necessarily know what a single celled organism looked like if it bit me on my a$$...
hmmm... biting my @$$... it is almost my birthday...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back