Showing Question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
How far along does a multi-floral have to be open in order to deem it worthy for show entry? Judging is Friday morning...
I don't want to subject it to the show if there's no hope at this point.

Paph. Sander's Pride

img0608do4.jpg

img0609ol7.jpg

I've seen plenty of almost open or closed blooms at shows, but they are impossible to judge fairly unless they are open all the way.

It looks like you need another week or so....

Technically, the bloom is supposed to be fully developed. I remember that when Glen Decker was giving his Phrag kovachii talk at the DOS meeting last year, he complained about some photos that accompanied the first awarded kovachiis (they were cultural awards, not quality awards, as I recall).

He and the local judges all seemed irritated that they were judged while they still had the flat shape that they did because they were still young blooms. They spouted some showing rules at the time, but I didn't pay that much attention :)

It looks as though that dorsal is taking its time. Is your apt. cold? Crank up the heat for a couple of days.... it might help :) j/k

- Matt

Showing is pretty stressful on blooms, in all honesty I'd save it for the meeting. I know it sucks and have brought plants to shows I shouldn't have, and paid for it with dried out areas and blasted buds.

Jon
________
Vapir No2 Review

Last edited:
I can't remember who told me, but I believe a multifloral plant needs 2/3 (or 3/4??) of the buds fully open to be judged for AOS awards. No restriction for ribbon judging.

If it was my plant I would leave it at home. You should save it and show it off at the meeting when it is in full bloom. Good growing by the way!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Back