Show us Paph. that you've killed.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just wondering why people keep their orchids in opaque pots? I am switching all of them to transparent pots with aeration on the side so that I can watch out for healthy roots or rotting roots. So why keep those opaque pots?

just wondering why people keep their orchids in opaque pots? I am switching all of them to transparent pots with aeration on the side so that I can watch out for healthy roots or rotting roots. So why keep those opaque pots?

There is a theory that the warmer pots help with root development. This may be more of an issue for folks who grow on a windowsill (not greenhouse) and a cold house during the winter (sun will warm up the roots).

Lots of people don't like the slime/moss that grows inside the transparent ones eventually.

hmm..I have yet to see this green moss in my clear pots. Maybe I would use some clay pot and put the clear pot inside if that would happen, but I just hate not seing the roots.

This thread is very disturbing.
All those nice flowering paphs have died??

I am scarred for life! lol

Maybe someone should start a thread on "what killed my paphs" or "how I killed my paphs" so at least others are informed about the proper culture or certain species/hybrids that are particularly hard to deal with.

It's a long story. Short version, I treated my plants like cacti, 28 day leaves of absence... But here I am, 3 years sober. Now I only kill plants accidentally!

Good work! Keep on going!!:clap::clap::clap:

Ramon:)

This thread is very disturbing.
All those nice flowering paphs have died??

I am scarred for life! lol

Maybe someone should start a thread on "what killed my paphs" or "how I killed my paphs" so at least others are informed about the proper culture or certain species/hybrids that are particularly hard to deal with.

it is just part of the game. excellent highly valuable plants die. it makes the challenge of collecting so much greater since plants are ephemeral unlike other material goods people collect. the orchid hobby is really part "collecting" but also the activity of "growing".

Phrag Nicolle Tower.

Sad and upset about losing this wonderful clone to crown rot-- I will never see the same again.

Ed.

Attachments

• DSC00956 (2)-004.jpg
    DSC00956 (2)-004.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 71
Bad news Istvan, another of those "bloom and bust" episodes? I do believe that somehow there is something we can do to improve this thing. I have just discovered a similar incident with my gorgeous sanderianumxmoquettanum (it is really great). Yesterday I had to remove a leaf orange and smelly from probably phytophora. I drowned the scar in dragons blood it normally helps. Just hope it stops this s¤%t.

Latest posts

Back