Show me your leaves!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice leaves you have there people! :D I love mottled leaves, which is why I have most barbata type Paphs.

Leo Schordje: Interesting, I have what is supposed to be a normal variant of malipoense, but the foliage looks more like you variant (malipoense x jacki alba). That's strange I suppose...

There is a batch of (malipoense x jackii alba) seedlings floating around Europe. Mine came from one of the few flasks that went to the USA. So it is very possible you have a sister seedling to mine. If people were not careful with their labels, it is possible that the label got shortened to just malipoense.

That is a cool looking variegated insigne. Has it bloomed yet for you?

I just got this plant a few weeks ago. It is a division of a very old plant that has been going around for over 20 years. Was very expensive before but now very affordable. The flower is not variegated.

There is a batch of (malipoense x jackii alba) seedlings floating around Europe. Mine came from one of the few flasks that went to the USA. So it is very possible you have a sister seedling to mine. If people were not careful with their labels, it is possible that the label got shortened to just malipoense.
Aha, I suppose I'll know if/when my little one blooms then. Until then, I shall enjoy its gorgeous foliage. :D

Jewels.
P2241536_zpsdcd748d6.jpg

P2241540_zpsd65073fa.jpg

P2241539_zps4125efed.jpg

P2241538_zps4976df5d.jpg

P2241535_zps22272eb5.jpg

P2241534_zpsae6284d4.jpg

Haha! By far, not the most creative pot I use. I use instant coffee jars, chinese food containers, etc. :rollhappy: The Macodes petiola lives in a really nice glass vessel, I'll have to post a photo later.

Aha, I suppose I'll know if/when my little one blooms then. Until then, I shall enjoy its gorgeous foliage. :D

WHen it blooms it will be possible to determine which species or if it is the hybrid.

the shape of the flower will give you a clue. The petal shape of jackii is a bit more elongated than in malipoense, and usually displayed at a slight downward angle compared to malipoense, resulting in a more triangular profile versus a rounder profile.

The staminode of malipoense has a very pronounced 'bee' marking. The purple is intense, smooth, with no lines. The upper edge of the bee mark is a simple horizontal line. In jackii there is no bee mark, rather there is a spidery network of purple lines originating from a single point. Of note, the hybrid between the species will show some lines, they will be be much wider than in jackii and coalesce into a blotch in where the bee mark would be in malipoense. So if there are lines emenating from the bee mark, your plant is the hybrid.

Hope that makes sense and helps

Beautiful leaves ... thanks for posting everyone. It was the leaves that first got me into paphs. Dangerous thread !
Cheers,
Tim

Haha! By far, not the most creative pot I use. I use instant coffee jars, chinese food containers, etc. :rollhappy: The Macodes petiola lives in a really nice glass vessel, I'll have to post a photo later.

I use clear cups from cold coffee drinks. Now I have a neat mini phal in a "Scooter's Coffee" cup.

Here's a group picture of all my mottled leaf paphs
P1060423_zps2188800c.jpg

Thanks.
I use clear cups from cold coffee drinks. Now I have a neat mini phal in a "Scooter's Coffee" cup.

Here's a group picture of all my mottled leaf paphs
P1060423_zps2188800c.jpg

Nice group. I'm leery of plastic cups that are too thin. I use the soup containers from Chinese restaurants, that's what S/H container manufacturers use. :wink:

Thanks.

Nice group. I'm leery of plastic cups that are too thin. I use the soup containers from Chinese restaurants, that's what S/H container manufacturers use. :wink:

I'm not familiar with the containers you described but I do love the rigid plastic cups that they put betta fish in. They aren't very big, but they are great for smaller plants.

Back