Should i be disappointed

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first time blooming rothschildianum. It is one of my favorite flowers but this one I bloomed does not really do it for me. It is about 5" across and I thought they are a bit bigger. Happy growing

Attachments

• 20230328_205627.jpg
    20230328_205627.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230328_205805.jpg
    20230328_205805.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Is the plant also small?

Some of us with limited space might welcome a breeding line of miniature rothschildianums -- though I think we would desire better form and color.

Congrats on growing and blooming a roth. It is not small achievement. I wish you many more.

Rothschildianum flower size varies greatly, but that is on the extreme side.
I would pass on it and get another or a bunch of new seedlings with higher hope. Usually, this species easily has well over 20cm wide and that's smallish. It has to be at nearly 30cm to be decent.
Best roths have natural spread of well over 30cm and it can reach almost 40cm wide, which I believe is quite rare but very much possible.

Rothschildianum flower size varies greatly, but that is on the extreme side.
I would pass on it and get another or a bunch of new seedlings with higher hope. Usually, this species easily has well over 20cm wide and that's smallish. It has to be at nearly 30cm to be decent.
Best roths have natural spread of well over 30cm and it can reach almost 40cm wide, which I believe is quite rare but very much possible.
What cross has the bigest flowers

I'll let roth experts answer that question.
Whatever the cross, there is bound to be variations among the progenies, and my previous reply sort of touches on that.
I don't think there's one specific cross that will guarantee you anything really.
Some might offer you higher expectations and probability of better results, and even then, it takes a lot of luck in my opinion.
As I already said though, most should turn out easily at 20-30cm range on average.

Last edited:
First off, congrats on blooming a roth, that’s a huge achievement and something to celebrate! Any unbloomed seedling is going to be a risk, there are a range of possible outcomes from exceptional and better than the parents, to small and/or deformed. The average size with modern breeding is usually in the 23-26cm range, but good plants will be 30cm+. A lot has to do with the age, maturity, and health of the plant. As the plant gets bigger and stronger the flower size and quality will improve, but a 12cm roth is unlikely to ever be a 25cm roth. Even crosses from the largest flowered plants can have some smaller flowered offspring. TON has some huge roths, the most famous of which is ‘Tarantula’, it was awarded with a 39cm flower, I believe. I’m not sure if it consistently flowers that size, I would guess not, so even the same plant can be variable year-to-year. Any of the latest breeding from TON, Orchid Inn, or Paph Paradise should be capable of producing offspring with 30cm flowers, but the only way to guarantee getting one of those plants would be to buy it as a select plant in bloom.

If it bloomed in my collection it would be a cull, but I grow a lot of roths and cull all of my plants strictly to maximize quality in the space I have. If you're not overloaded with plants and not particularly concerned with breeding and awards there is no harm in giving it a few more years to see what it can do when it matures more. It will never be a top tier plant but it could certainly improve some.

I think I've read that you need to give it about 3 years because each year it grows a bit better. First blooms are often not great. Also, I believe it is still a seedling population, and there is great diversity in it. If you really, really hate it, PM me and I'll take it off your hands. I can't fault a slightly smaller plant, and I am not entering any shows!!! I just think they are pretty and unusual (I have a thing for green and brown weird flowers!

Latest posts

Back