Shipping orchids? Best carrier....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for starting this thread Matt! We're experiencing the same issues. I've noticed more and more of the packages we get here at work are coming DHL. I've done FedEx and will use them only at customer's request- too expensive! Please bear with all your vendors folks as we feel out the new rates and alternatives!!!

-Ernie

The only times I have had trouble w/ USPS is shipping at holidays, to Georgia (blame Blake) or shipping across the country where if you are west of Colorado it takes three days.

DHL was a problem when I moved. I ordered something from a company that ships DHL to the Post Office, and then the Post Office actually delivers. I moved in the time it took to get from the PO to me. So they had to forward the package. I think if DHL goes directly to the recipient that wouldn't be an issue.

FedEx and UPS ground are expensive and I would find them worrisome, living on the East Coast, if I was ordering from anywhere out of the east coast.

BTW, I had not even THOUGH about this. We're dealing w/ it at work and since I haven't been shipping many plants as of late, it never crossed my mind. Despite recent issues (before the change!)

Heather said:
We're dealing w/ it at work and since I haven't been shipping many plants as of late, it never crossed my mind. Despite recent issues (before the change!)
Sounds like you're past due to get rid of some plants!:poke:

Heather said:
FYI,
I tried to get around the surcharge this morning by cutting a box down to 5.5" x 20" x 15" which is well within the 1780 size limits.

The USPS doesn't count half inches. They can only round up. Keep that in mind when you need to ship something. :mad:

Heather.
Would you believe it, last Saturday, I sent out a box using priority mail USPS 12x12x8 own box, and the guy at the counter actually measured it again.
(as if the material inside can inflates the size of the box beyond the limit ):rollhappy:

NYEric said:
Hien, You should just be happy that nobody went "postal" on you and shot you w/ a machine gun!
I was thinking about bolting toward the door when I see the clerk on the next counter pulling out the scanner gun.:D

We ship hundreds (if not over a thousand) samples a year, and most of it is time sensitive (requiring priority overnight). DHL has almost a perfect strike out record with us, and dependability with UPS or Fedex ends up about even.

There is a way on the UPS website to get an expected delivery date on ground services to the various destinations from your address. But ground is not guaranted before 5 (business days).

You might also look at Fed ex Express Saver for cost comparison. That is 3 day guaranteed, and holding at the local fedex station can reduce environmental fluctuations (although at the expense of door to door delivery).

I've only used the USPS for orchid shipments and it has been depedable enough, but the cost increases may make the comercial cariers more competive.

I ship USPS priority mail by click and ship. They give you the boxes and actutally ship a case to your address. I print the labels on line and it comes with free delivery confirmation. You do need an acurate scale to weigh your package. Don't forget that they have a box with unlimited weight which is great for shipping one coast to another. My sister lives and works in Seatle, WA so it works for me. You just drop off the package at the PO or have them pick it up at your address, no extra charge. We do many Ebay sales, but I am not shipping orchids either.

This is unreal. This is my first shipment via USPS. I sent a package out west and the dimensions of the box was 37x8x8 and was billed at 12 3/4lbs for $28.45 priority.

SURCHARGE.

Marco - and everyone. If the package is larger than 12 x 12 x 12, you WILL be charged the surcharge.

12 x 12 x 12 = 1728. Any combination of measurements that equal that or more will be charged the surcharge. Including a package that is 12 x 11.25 x 11.5. The USPS WILL round UP!

and with that said, I need to go pack up a plant. :)

I use USPS to ship packages and wanted to clarify a couple of points:

Dimensional Weight only applies to delivery to zones 5-8.

It applies to parcels that exceed 1 cubic foot (1,728 cubic inches).

Dimensions are rounded to the nearest inch, not up.​

This information comes from the regulations on the USPS website listed below:

Dimensional Weighting
Parcels addressed for delivery to zones 5-8 that exceed 1 cubic foot (1,728 cubic inches) are charged based on the actual weight or the dimensional weight (as calculated in 123.1.4), whichever is greater.

1.4 Dimensional Weight Rate for Low-Density Parcels to Zones 5-8
Postage for parcels addressed for delivery to Zones 5-8 and exceeding 1 cubic foot (1,728 cubic inches) is based on the actual weight or the dimensional weight (as calculated in 1.4.1 or 1.4.2), whichever is greater.
1.4.1 Determining Dimensional Weight for Rectangular Parcels
Follow these steps to determine the dimensional weight for a rectangular parcel:
a. Measure the length, width, and height in inches. Round off (see 604.7.0) each measurement to the nearest whole inch.
b. Multiply the length by the width by the height.
c. If the result exceeds 1,728 cubic inches, divide the result by 194 and round up (see 604.7.0) to the next whole number to determine the dimensional weight in pounds.
1.4.2 Determining Dimensional Weight for Nonrectangular Parcels
Follow these steps to determine the dimensional weight for a nonrectangular parcel:
a. Measure the length, width, and height in inches at their extreme dimensions. Round off (see 604.7.0) each measurement to the nearest whole inch.
b. Multiply the length by the width by the height.
c. Multiply the result by an adjustment factor of 0.785.
d. If the final result exceeds 1,728 cubic inches, divide the result by 194 and round up (see 604.7.0) to the next whole number to determine the dimensional weight in pounds.
e. If the dimensional weight exceeds 70 pounds, the parcel pays the 70-pound rate.

7.1.3 Rounding Numerical Values
For these standards:
a. Round off requires increasing by 1 the last digit to be kept if the digit to its right, which is not to be kept, is 5 or greater. If that digit is 4 or less, the last digit kept is unchanged (e.g., 3.376 rounded off to two decimal places is 3.38, 3.374 is 3.37).
b. Round up requires increasing by 1 the last digit to be kept if there are any digits to its right, regardless of significance (e.g., rounding up either 3.3701 or 3.379 to two decimal places yields 3.38).

I just took a look at the map too see how much of the US Population is within zones 1-4 from here. I think there are 7 people. The Light circle is approximately a 600 mile radius from Fort Collins.

usa_population_density.jpg

I should be shipping from Kentucky instead.

- Matt

Latest posts

Back