SFG

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh, I'm jealous. The one in my pic has 11in leaves. On the bright side, it has four spikes developing.
Well, I'm jealous because mine only has one blooming fan at a time. It now has two new growths, so it may start blooming with two, but it remains to be seen.
Wow~ can't wait to see four giant flowers open all at once. I'm thinking the flowers might be fighting one another for space since they are so big. You're talking about the FCC clone, right?

I have a few Wossner China Moon (hangianum x armeniacum) that are so far very slow but they may still be adjusting from import from Taiwan. Do you have this one?
How big is your Wössner China Moon? I grew a few from small (not super small) to medium sized seedling to blooming size. Overall, I don't find them expecially slow compared to other paph seedlings I've tried.
So far, I have bloomed two plants which came from the same batch. One has proved to be a really good grower&bloomer. It is special since it is my first and best so far. It bloomed for the first time in 2017. Then, it has bloomed a few times since. If you search under this hybrid name, you should be able to find a couple of my older thread on this.
The sibling plant bloomed around the same time, but it has never bloomed again since. It has two near mature growths at the moment. So, there is a stark difference between these two.

Now, I have two single growth seedling in sheath, which I'm very excited about. I have sold a few large seedlings last year, but kept three to myself. Two of those are now in sheath. The other one is far behind these two, but I kept it because the leaves are extra pretty compared to many other plants of this cross I've seen.

I have quite a few hangianum primary hybrids, and I would say Liberty Taiwan( x micranthum) has been the slowest for me.
Good luck with yours!

How big is your Wössner China Moon? I grew a few from small (not super small) to medium sized seedling to blooming size. Overall, I don't find them expecially slow compared to other paph seedlings I've tried.
So far, I have bloomed two plants which came from the same batch. One has proved to be a really good grower&bloomer. It is special since it is my first and best so far. It bloomed for the first time in 2017. Then, it has bloomed a few times since. If you search under this hybrid name, you should be able to find a couple of my older thread on this.
The sibling plant bloomed around the same time, but it has never bloomed again since. It has two near mature growths at the moment. So, there is a stark difference between these two.

Now, I have two single growth seedling in sheath, which I'm very excited about. I have sold a few large seedlings last year, but kept three to myself. Two of those are now in sheath. The other one is far behind these two, but I kept it because the leaves are extra pretty compared to many other plants of this cross I've seen.

I have quite a few hangianum primary hybrids, and I would say Liberty Taiwan( x micranthum) has been the slowest for me.
Good luck with yours!
My WCM I would say are large seedlings about 15cm total span. I expect two to take off soon but I might lose the third one unless it makes roots.
I have seen the post to mentioned, I reread it every few months lol.

My WCM I would say are large seedlings about 15cm total span. I expect two to take off soon but I might lose the third one unless it makes roots.
I have seen the post to mentioned, I reread it every few months lol.

The average leaf length on my blooming size WCM is about 5-7in. One of the two seedlings currently in spike is the largest with each leaf about 1-2inch longer than the average. I hope it would also have even a larger flower!
Your plant might be large to near blooming size.

Last edited:
Well, I'm jealous because mine only has one blooming fan at a time. It now has two new growths, so it may start blooming with two, but it remains to be seen.
Wow~ can't wait to see four giant flowers open all at once. I'm thinking the flowers might be fighting one another for space since they are so big. You're talking about the FCC clone, right?
Unfortunately, I have no intention of letting it bloom haha. This isn't the fcc one, but its sibling. I've done a sib cross to line breed them and get rid of some of the unpredictability in their flower quality.
As for this clone, it doubles reliably every year, so I'll let it bloom after 2 more cycles with 16 flowers.

Unfortunately, I have no intention of letting it bloom haha. This isn't the fcc one, but its sibling. I've done a sib cross to line breed them and get rid of some of the unpredictability in their flower quality.
As for this clone, it doubles reliably every year, so I'll let it bloom after 2 more cycles with 16 flowers.
Oh, wow~ It is such a great grower!! Have you used this particular plant in breeding to hopefully confer this amazing quality? What do flowers look like on this one? I'm sure quite nice? I think you sort of mentioned it before that it was very nice, just not by award standpoint or something along that line.

Oh, wow~ It is such a great grower!! Have you used this particular plant in breeding to hopefully confer this amazing quality? What do flowers look like on this one? I'm sure quite nice? I think you sort of mentioned it before that it was very nice, just not by award standpoint or something along that line.
Both Fricka ( this clone) and Wotan (the FCC clone in my avatar) CAN look awesome, but I've found it's very hit or miss and the stars have to align. For that reason, I don't consider my fcc to be my best plant. I've sib crossed the two. Here's Fricka when it's behaving. Sometimes it's too floppy, other times it's too cuppy.
32845227_10157779255675329_4820953279108218880_o.jpeg.jpg

Both Fricka ( this clone) and Wotan (the FCC clone in my avatar) CAN look awesome, but I've found it's very hit or miss and the stars have to align. For that reason, I don't consider my fcc to be my best plant. I've sib crossed the two.

So are you going to name the progeny Roßweiße, Grimgerde, Siegrune, Helmwige, Schwertleite, Waltraute, Ortlinde, and Gerhilde? (That was as long as the whole ring cycle...)

All the awardable ones will be named after characters from the ring cycle lol. But we should give Happypaphy his thread back.

Thank you for the photo. I personally prefer Fricka. Some might ding it for those toothy petals, but overall shape is fuller and more stable to my liking. And that tessellation is very much my taste rather than stripes as in my flower.

I think pretty much all my hangianum (and even emersonii) hybrids have a tendency to have the sides of the dorsal roll back with time.
I will be curious to see how mine on this thread will behave in the future blooming, and I'm sure it may not look the same every time.
My first one looked very different from its initial bloom to the next. Since that second bloom, it has been more or less the same in its size & shape. and less issues, but minor cut is always there on the dorsal, which is quite annoying.
I really appreciate the fragrance, though. So pleasant day and night!

I only hope that this plant will grow on well without giving me too much headache.

Latest posts

Back