Semi Hydro/Prime Agra Question...your opinion?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Corndog

Hi All:

I am new to the site, and have been lurking for a few days.

I live in S.W. Georgia where it is still hot and muggy.

I have recently returned to orchid culture, and I am really interested in Paphs and Frags this time around. Monday through Friday, I work at a genealogical library, and do a little brain surgery on the weekends when time allows.:p

I am interested in trying semi hydro orchid culture. I have read all of the old threads. on the site, related to the "old and" "new" Prime Agra.

I would like to hear your opinions on the products that are currently available, and which ones you use and would recommend to someone who wants to give s/h a try. I know that there are those who prefer the "old" Prime Agra, but I will assume that it is no longer available, since the threads are somewhat old.

Thanks,

Corndog

I haven't used either. I do have my Phrags in Hydroton, which is the only medium that was locally available. They have done fine for me but I am not happy with it for seedlings.

Ron:

I wasn't really asking specifically about Prime Agra.

"I would like to hear your opinions on the products that are currently available, and which ones you use and would recommend to someone who wants to give s/h a try."

Is there any advice you would offer to a beginner of s/h? Why not for seedlings?

Thanks,

Corndog

I use the leca from www.cropking.com it looks and seems to be just like the "old prime agra". If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck....:> I'd recommend you use it. I grow everything in s/h. Hydroton isn't the best leca for semi-hydro as it doesn't wick hardly at all. I do grow some of my plants in it because it's available locally and the cost of shipping leca can be a killer. So, my catts and some phrags get put in hydroton. If I could, I'd use the Crop King leca for ALL my plants, but I try to cut costs whenever possible.

Search for hydroton in the search feature to read up on it. You should find a lot of info.

Welcome to the forum, Corndog!

I've not used the new PrimeAgra, but had mixed results with Phrags in the old. I also use diatomite (medium size) in s/h. But I have only a few Phrags in s/h anymore because of the mixed results.

It's obvious that everyone has their own successes/failures, likes/dislikes with regard to media. I think you just have to experiment for yourself and find out what works for you.

Thanks for all of the input.

Dot, I do realize that one growing medium does not fit all growers. I do intend to start off slow and see what works for me, but I also though it would be prudent to exploit the experience of those who have already experimented.

Take care,

Corndog

Not to switch topic too much, but does anyone have experience w/ using 'pond' algicides to occasionally try to flush the algae out of clear S/H pots? There's so much green the purpose of the clear pot has been defeated in my only S/H plant...(it's been in the pot since March and it's a Paph) I know the pond chemicals Say they're safe for plants and fish etc, but I still wonder.

the algae out of clear S/H pots? There's so much green the purpose of the clear pot has been defeated in my only S/H plant...(it's been in the pot since March and it's a Paph) I know the pond chemicals Say they're safe for plants and fish etc, but I still wonder.

Can't answer your ? about the algacides but if you use a cache pot to cover yur SH pot..no algae ! You can then keep a check on the roots by simply removing the cache pot. I have a lot of my qt. SH pots inside a black plastic tall square pot(the cheap ones garden palnst come in). I keep the drainage holes of the SH pot toward a corner, so air and water flow are not restricted. I don't like the looks of the algae , although it is not suppose to harm the plant..the ones with a cache pot do as well as the ones without.

Welcome Corndog,
I use hydroton mostly because it is available locally...I have a few in old Prima Agra a friend gave me. I have had good results with hydroton, but my plants are mature. The Crop King leca seems to be what SH growers are leaning toward since the PA changed.

Ah, that is a good thought! I'll look around for something the right size in case no one has anything good to say about using an algicide! Because as far as I can tell it Is just a nuisance, not something that's bothering the plant, so I'd rather not bombard it with chemistry just for my sake if it might harm the plant :)

Latest posts

Back