Semi Hydro is working !!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lothianjavert said:
I had never had anything in S/H until I bought a phrag like that last year, and it is so happy in there. I'm definitely switching over the rest of my phrags. :)
Everyone has their own opinion and experience, but mine has been that not all Phrags like S/H.

lothianjavert said:
I had never had anything in S/H until I bought a phrag like that last year, and it is so happy in there. I'm definitely switching over the rest of my phrags. :)
I have to post photos of the roots of the plants I grow hydro vs. S/H. I sind a lot of roots dying in plants I rec'd S/H. Be Carefull. :wink:

This one seems to be very, very happy. I don't plan to switch all of my plants over, just the phrags, since I have trouble keeping them wet enough. :eek:

papheteer said:
does anybody have any experience with parvis in s/h? any thoughts?

I recently put a Ho Chi Minh and a malipoesne into s/h.

It will be a while before I know if they like it.

I think that folks attribute far too much - both good and bad - to "semi-hydroponics" in their culture of plants, and one mistake folks make too commonly is that they assume "one size fits all", or that there is only "one size", which is certainly not the case. Not one of us would even contemplate putting everything in our collections in Aussie Gold, in the same plastic pots, under the same lighting levels, and at the same temperature conditions, but for some reason, many assume s/h has a pinpoint definition.

There's a lot to orchid culture, so once you select a technique you want to try, there are still a huge number of variables that need to be managed. Because of the variables that the conditions within a semi-hydro pot brings to the picture, there are even more to play with - particle size and packing density, capillarity, moisture absorption and release, evaporation, etc.

Unlike slipperfan, I have not found a phrag that does not like s/h culture, but I will add that in my greenhouse, I have had to increase the growing temperature above the way I used to grow them, and now have them about the same as phals. By the same token, I can say that vandaceous plants don't like it (under my conditions), while I know plenty for whom they thrive. Go figure...

We must also keep in mind that all plants of a hybrid or species are not identical. If they were, every seedling arising from a capsule would survive and grow equally if kept under the same conditions, and we know that's certainly not the case.

Gilda said:
Yes, Please post pictures !
OK I'll try
P3210079.jpg

P3210080.jpg

P3210082.jpg

Well, it's no wonder the roots are dieing since they are in an organic mix that breaks down to allow no air through...That's why inorganic medium is used for s/h. Get some leca, man!:poke:

Candace said:
Well, it's no wonder the roots are dieing since they are in an organic mix that breaks down to allow no air through...That's why inorganic medium is used for s/h. Get some leca, man!:poke:
Um, those roots are very much alive and growing out of the bottom of the pots! :)

Um, those roots are very much alive and growing out of the bottom of the pots!

I thought you were supposed to be posting photos of plants you'd received in s/h that had dead or dieing roots:confused:

gonewild said:
Eric,
How long can you go without repotting with the wet organic media?
How tall is the birdfeeder pot?
I have had phrags in a similar mix and it has been a year...so far reblooms and roots are thriving..this is phrag sedenii. I would not put any paphs in this mix but I have not had a phrag that didn't jump for joy !
march_07-16.jpg

march_07-15.jpg

Gilda said:
I have had phrags in a similar mix and it has been a year...so far reblooms and roots are thriving..this is phrag sedenii. I would not put any paphs in this mix but I have not had a phrag that didn't jump for joy !
[/IMG]

Are you growing them sitting in trays of water so the mix stays very wet like Eric is?

gonewild said:
Are you growing them sitting in trays of water so the mix stays very wet like Eric is?
No trays of water...I have 2 holes a little over an inch from the bottom of the pot..just like regular semi hydro. I can't have trays of water sitting around ,as my grow area is adjacent to my sunroom/dining area , and the door stays open in the winter..there is way toooooooo much humidty ! I have to run a dehumidifier in the winter or my windows drip !:)

Candace said:
I thought you were supposed to be posting photos of plants you'd received in s/h that had dead or dieing roots:confused:
I don't want to disturb them, and also I transferred some of them over to Spagnum as the roots were so beat.

gonewild said:
Eric,
How long can you go without repotting with the wet organic media?
How tall is the birdfeeder pot?
I started this a few weeks after the April 2006 GNYOS show. It depends on the media mix but the breakdown component seems to be bark; sphagnum and coconut chips are holding up OK, so far. The bird feeders are about 12" tall. Standard stuff.

Latest posts

Back