Sedirea japonica

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
A few buds on the second inflorescence are still opening up but I snapped a shot anyway šŸ˜
The air is full of its refreshing fragrance. I sense cinnamon, clove and citrus. šŸ˜
I got this plant as a first time blooming seedling in 2016. Double spikes every spring since then but the flower count has gone up a bit over the years.
No repotting since 2017.
grown near bright window.

A3232D5F-68F1-4BA3-8C57-B5DF3DDA83A4.jpeg

I've tried this plant a couple of times and failed miserably. Your plant is gorgeous.
Hey Abax, wondering if you have tried growing in the 5A Neofinetia moss? I failed with it until I planted into that but itā€™s doing great now in that traditional Japanese mossing technique, always watered from the bottom and allowed to soak up, about once a week. Current plant was a seedling, now almost 3 years old, based on othersā€™ plants it should bloom next year. Leaves chunky, glossy and numerous. Watered with Chicago tap, then RO/K-Lite poured carefully over moss mass. Hope this helps.

Mine is potted in the mixture of orchiata, perlite and charcoal. The bottom most layer of the pot is clay balls for excellent drainage and weight to anchor the pot from tipping over. Then, the top exposed roots were covered with sphagnum moss which has mostly degraded and washed away over time now.
This is basically the same way I pot any orchids I grow. I just change the ratio of how much of what depending on the plants.

This plant is in 3inch round plastic pot with side slits. The plant has grown lots of roots which have raised the plant higher up in the pot.
Also, the plant has grown toward the sun and so it's leaning on one side. I plan on repotting (and reposition it upright) it into a larger pot with chunky bark later in the year, probably round early fall after I have harvested all the seed pods and when the plant starts to grow again for the fall.

Unless you are planning on buying a bunch of plants, I would recommend buying from within the US.
This species is readily available and inexpensive. You can get one from Seedengei.
I got this one in spike on eBay (SeedEngei) in 2016 when no one else was bidding and got it at the starting price of $19.
With the group order, it only makes sense if you do at least a few plants and plants that cost quite expensive here.
This species is cheap in Korea but you want to consider fees associated with the order plus the time it takes for USDA inspection and all that.
I don't think it's worth it unless you're buying at least a few plants of higher price.
Something to think about.
If you don't like eBay, you can directly contact Seedengei and I'm sure Satomi can get you one. It is a good time of the year to buy as she keeps selling ones in spike or in bloom right now.

Thank you. I'll look over the website.
Unless you are planning on buying a bunch of plants, I would recommend buying from within the US.
This species is readily available and inexpensive. You can get one from Seedengei.
I got this one in spike on eBay (SeedEngei) in 2016 when no one else was bidding and got it at the starting price of $19.
With the group order, it only makes sense if you do at least a few plants and plants that cost quite expensive here.
This species is cheap in Korea but you want to consider fees associated with the order plus the time it takes for USDA inspection and all that.
I don't think it's worth it unless you're buying at least a few plants of higher price.
Something to think about.
If you don't like eBay, you can directly contact Seedengei and I'm sure Satomi can get you one. It is a good time of the year to buy as she keeps selling ones in spike or in bloom right now.

Latest posts

Back