Sederia (Phalaenposis ) japonica

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattWoelfsen

Reaction score
There are several varieties of this Phalaenopsis alliance plant. Most of the different varieties are based on size and variegation. But this Sederia is slightly different than other plants in its leaf color--it is a light green, and it's flowers. Other members of this group have flowers that have horizontal stripes across the petals and there is red in the lips. This Kibana-Soshin has no color, just greenish beige. Flowers are scented. "Kibana" usually refers to yellow. I do not know the meaning of "soshin".

bc9cff20ca580ad02d58d5cdb8188222.jpg

Flower closeup:

19ccb05f9609471fbb51a6783b11b793.jpg

"Normal" Sederia japonica flower

e9a1664c5d402cdc643c7985780f6a9d.jpg

Well, soshin is obviously a japanese word written as English, so if you could post a close up photograph of those Chinese letters (or ganji) on the name tap, someone like naoki will chime in, I'm sure.

I can only see the first two letters clearly on that tag, and it means yellow flower. I can only see half the last letter, so I can't read that one.

Lovely thing. I had one for a few years, but found it a bit more difficult to keep going than the normal variety, as can be the case with some alba flowered plants. Then again, I'm not that skilled a grower.

The name Kibana Soshin means "yellow flowered pure heart", or something like that. Japanese names are obscure, especially when translating into other languages. The "so" part is the hardest part to know the exact meaning since the kanji 素 means plain, white, unaltered, like silk that hasn't been dyed.

Lovely thing. I had one for a few years, but found it a bit more difficult to keep going than the normal variety, as can be the case with some alba flowered plants. Then again, I'm not that skilled a grower.

The name Kibana Soshin means "yellow flowered pure heart", or something like that. Japanese names are obscure, especially when translating into other languages. The "so" part is the hardest part to know the exact meaning since the kanji 素 means plain, white, unaltered, like silk that hasn't been dyed.

Thank you for your information! The Japanese names do seem to express some sense of poetry.

I have had one of these plants before and it died easily. I'm hoping that this time around, I'll be able to grow it longer than six months!

Back