Seasonal Winter Shipping, Etc.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

First, I'd like to thank all of you who took advantage of our Cyber Week sale! I made some adjustments to the FVO website plant listings to reflect the items that we sold out of, and lowered retail prices on the ones still in stock. We really appreciate your support......

As far as winter shipping at this time of year and with the Holidays coming up, it gets tricky using USPS Priority Mail and it kills me to lose plants due to frost damage, so I've temporarily eliminated the USPS option at check-out. In some cases. Fedex or UPS Ground are only a few dollars more and plants tend to get to their destinations with less risk of damage.

You can also take advantage of free delivery of pre-orders at the orchid shows we attend. This year so far, we'll be attending the Orchid Guild show in Madison, the Batavia Orchid Society Show at the Du Page County Fairgrounds and the Michigan Orchid Society Palm Sunday show in Madison Heights, MI.

Last edited:
Prudent, as Priority Mail is 2-3 days....up to forever.
We require signature for cold climates this time of year so boxes are not left on doorsteps.
JC

I rely on FedEx two day and it never fails me. It costs a
few dollars more, but a healthy plant is worth the extra
cost. One gets very little enjoyment out of a dead or
severely damaged plant. Wise move, Tom.

Experiences vary. USPS is the ONLY way I can possibly receive plants in good condition this time of year, unless I can arrange to take a day off and be there to receive the package from UPS or FedEx, and they actually deliver on the day the notifications say they will, and I check outside the front door several times an hour to find the package they abandoned without a signature anyway. Even then the plants might be cold damaged even if the temperature is well above freezing here. With USPS it may be delayed a day or 2, but the package will be waiting inside by my apartment door when I get home, and rarely any cold damage.

Like Kirk said it all varies... that said.. I have canceled two different orders with companies (non orchid related) because they solely use UPS. Used to work for them so I have a decent idea of just how fucked up their operation is. I cannot suggest highly enough to eliminate UPS from anyones options! Fedex is pricey but has some of the best service period. USPS is typically decent, but I would not risk it during this time of the year. Their employees are inept and apathetic.

My two cents (US),
JAB

Back