schlimii or sendeniii question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Grandma M

I searched a lot of pictures of both of these and decided this, although I'm not sure the pictures were labeled correctly.

schlimii has round flowers with a rounded dorsal.

sendenii has longer petals with a pointed dorsal.

Is this correct or do I need to so some more searching?

Marilyn

Phrag. schlimii is a species...and Phrag. Sedenii is a primary hybrid between longifolium and schlimii. It got more influence from the schlimii parent (color/size), but the shape is influenced by the longifolium. They're beautiful! Another personal favorit is Phrag. Schroderae which is caudatum by Sedenii. I think it's the prettiest pre-besseae hybrid.

Am I correct about the petals?

I have a Phrag. Schroderae 'Clyde' in bloom now. It is beautiful.

Grandma M said:
I searched a lot of pictures of both of these and decided this, although I'm not sure the pictures were labeled correctly.

schlimii has round flowers with a rounded dorsal.

sendenii has longer petals with a pointed dorsal.

Is this correct or do I need to so some more searching?

Marilyn

The petal shape you describe is correct, but the Sendenii flower (a hybrid as pointed out by Botanica Lmtd) is also 2 or more times larger than a true schlimii flower. The schlimii hybird "Wilcox" (Phrag Cardinale) often confused as a schlimii species is comparable in size to Sendenii maybe adding to the confusion.

Latest posts

Back