Scary paph...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow

Reaction score
This paph specie has 2 year long strange story, but I will tell it later. First, please tell me what do you think about this spot? The color on the photo is accurate. It is really the color of the blood.

hmm...
sometimes plant take on a reddish hue when they are exposed to high light.
i don't really think this is that, though....
hmmm....

The area looks "wet" like the subdermal cells have ruptured. Is that the case?
:confused: If that is the case, what would cause the subdermal cells to rupture & what would one do to treat it?
See what happens when you get me thinkin'?! :p

Well, it is the third time this paph get such red spot. First I thought it is rot and treated it as a rot. But the spot comes back and scenario is always the same. Time of appearance - the full moon phase when it coincides with the "emerging new leaf" growth phase of the plant. Place of appearance - always the second leaf from the bottom. :sob:

haha this is definitely very intriguing... i guess if its hasn't affected the plant in growth, then all i can say is you have one paph that loves getting attention, LoL!!

i guess if its hasn't affected the plant in growth,
Unfortunately it does affect the growth. I got this plant as a small seedling, it looked absolutely happy and healthy. But when the process of adaptation started (about 2 years ago) these strange things began to happen. But it is too small to handle the loss of the older leaves and therefore it is getting smaller and smaller. I decided not to cut this area this time. Otherwise I will have only two leaves left again. Well, of course, I would do it if I knew it helps, but the fact is the cutting off helps only "for now" and later the spot comes back on another leaf. Moreover, I don't think I will have chance to obtain a replacement for this paph. So sad.... and weird... :sob:

So, I've treated it against rot without cutting out the spot, moved the moss away. First it seemed that the plant was recovering - the disease wasn't spreading. But then about 3 weeks later - sudden and immediate collapse. It is dead.... :sob::sob::sob:

Wash w/ Physan, treat w/ Dragon's blood then Captan powder.- That's my program for rot.
We don't have Physan and Captan over here, we have other fungicides. I have Dragon's blood and it helped me a lot during last few years including the cases when cutting off was not possible. Not this time, however...

SlipperKing, thanks, may be I will be lucky to obtain a replacement.

Latest posts

Back