Sarracenia bog

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eOrchids

Reaction score
Here are my carnivorous plants bogs in bloom.

FOAbog.jpg

I have different varity of Sarracenia flava, a Sarracenia alata, and Sarracenia oreophila. All the blooms belong to Sarracenia flava.

purpureabog.jpg

This bog contain Sarracenia purpurea species and their varities.

I have another bog but it's not in bloom.

That's pretty sweet. When some spare money falls into my lap I'm going to try my hand at a small bog garden with sarracenia.

I guess living a little further south helps... In Norfolk, VA I just plant them in a prepared bed next to the pond.

YardPondSarcs051808008.jpg

YardPondSarcs051808002.jpg

Last edited:
very nice! I have a soft spot for containers, bog gardens included.

I guess Meadowview must be in bloom too. (Will I ever make it there for a visit...?)

Nice displays!!!!!!!!! I love carnivorous plants!!!!!!!!!! I do not have any, though...:(

I'm curious...for you that have container bogs, what's actually in the containers besides water? Sphagnum moss or something?

Joanne

I'm curious...for you that have container bogs, what's actually in the containers besides water? Sphagnum moss or something?

Joanne

At the time of planting I used pure sand at the bottom extending halfway up the container. The upper compost was a 50:50 mix of sand and sphagnum peatmoss. No live sphagnum was used since it is both difficult to maintain and tends to overwhelm smaller plants - of course my little garden is overwhelmed by cranberries! At this point, three years later, I'm sure that the whole bog is root bound.

The bottom 3/4 is undrained, but the upper 1/4 is via small wholes bored into the sides of the container.

Latest posts

Back